Is Melody Motors in Melfort, Sask. the worst dealer for customer service? I think so.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlnormedic

Reaction score
In all my years of car buying I have been a devoted Ford fan. Sadly, as of Monday, due to the complete incompetence and disrespect shown me by Melody Motors the Ford dealer in Melfort, Sask. I vow to never buy another Ford vehicle as long as I live.

I also vow to tell everyone I can just how terrible Melody Motors treats you and how they will do anything to get out of warranty work, especially if the vehicle was not sold be them. The first Expedition we took to them in 2005, the first question we were asked by the service manager when I called was “Where did you buy this vehicle?” I replied, “It doesn’t matter, it is a Ford vehicle.”

They wouldn’t touch the vehicle and I had to take it to another Ford dealer for warranty work.

I hoped the attitude had changed when on August 11, 2011 we asked Melody Motors Melfort to replace our driver side leather seat cover because of excessive cracking under the original warranty; we had roughly 55,000 km on our 2010 Expedition. We were informed that they would order the seat cover and call us when it arrived. We were subsequently called and informed that the seat cover was on a “national back-order” and they had ordered it but had no idea when it would arrive, they will call us when it comes in.

For three months I kept checking in with them to see if the new seat cover had arrived. Finally, after the third month Melody Motors service department told me not to worry, I did not need to keep calling because when it came in they would call me.

Monday, October 1, 2012, after nearly 14 months, I called in the morning to inquire once again about the seat cover. I was told they would check on it and call me RIGHT back. NO CALL CAME. I called them back in the afternoon, Melody Motors then proceeded to tell me that my warranty claim had been denied because it was not “bad enough” to warrant a replacement seat cover.

I asked how they came to that conclusion, and when does Ford get to decide how bad something has to be, before they replace it under the original warranty. She then admitted that they were supposed to have taken pictures of the seat when it was there in August 2011 to include with the original claim, but no one did. Therefore the claim was denied by Ford. If, I came back in now and was still less than 60000 km they could try and resubmit the claim. (We now have 96000 km).

As I continued to question her and try to understand how their mistake should prevent me from getting my warranty work completed, she admitted that the owners of Melody Motors told here directly they were not going to cover the cost of the new seat cover. Besides she said, you only have 60 days to complete a warranty claim before it is automatically denied. I informed her of the “national back-order” I was told about, and that I had called repeatedly in the beginning to check on it before I was told to not worry, Melody Motors would call me.

Her reply was, since there is no one there still working in the service department that was around last year this time, she has no way to “verify my story”. I reminded her that as the customer it is not my job to prove anything, and besides as she could see form our file, this was the only time we requested warranty work. It is not like we were constantly looking for repair work, we only asked for two things during the warranty period (the other being to replace the “rain sensing wiper sensor”).

I finally explained to her that I have owned 5 Fords in my life and considered myself a loyal Ford owner. However, after the treatment we have received from Melody Motors with our last two Expeditions I am about to walk away from Ford for good. I said, “Are you telling me that a $300.00 seat cover is worth more to Melody Motors and Ford then my business?”

She had no answer for me, other than to say that there was nothing she could do, and besides they don’t have a service manager right now, she isn’t even supposed to be having to handle these types of calls.

I reassured her that I was no upset with her; however she could inform the owners who were to coward to talk with me on the phone, that I would be sure to never buy a ford again and would make sure to inform everyone I can not to buy Ford, especially from Melody Motors in Melfort, Sask.

I called the Ford Motor Company Canada customer relations department to inform them of what happened. Their response was simple, “All Ford dealerships in Canada are independently owned and the only recourse they have is to take my complaint and forward it on to the owners. They may or may not decide to act upon it or contact me; it is entirely up to them.”

For the purposes of full disclosure, I bought my 2000 F150 from Melody Motors in 2002, the very first day I drove it, the engine service light came on. I took it back, they installed a new thermostat and charged me full price for the repairs, THE DAY AFTER BUYING THE VEHICLE.
I complained to them about that, and they gave me a credit in their parts department for a fraction of the cost of the repairs.

So, if you are in the market for a new vehicle; my advice is to steer clear of Melody Motors, and quite honestly you are better off not owning a Ford.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealers suck, plain and simple. I'm sure there are a few good ones out there, but my goodness they are rare. I have walked in your shoes a few times, and got just as heated, especially with the dodge dealer. Thief's, all of them.

That is why it is so LIBERATING buying a used vehicle where you have no expectations. Sure, shit sucks and breaks, I am breaking my back making my new 8 year old SUV as new as possible. But I swear it is better for my blood pressure than the anger I can generate towards a thieving freakin dealer. My last run in with GM over my wife's AC in her car sent me into orbit.

Thieves.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fact that all the dealers are "Independently owned", and Melody Motors is the one giving you all the grief, I don't see how this relates to your overall dissatisfaction of Ford Motor Company as a whole.
Yes, I totally agree that you got the run-around, and for the most part "shafted", but I would just go to the other dealership you have dealt with in the past for any future purchases or service. Melody does not deserve any of your, or for that matter ANYONE'S business. It sounds like they have a pretty shady operation going on there.

OP
OP
D

dlnormedic

Reaction score
Can't say I agree with that part. I can understand dealing with the dealership. But I've been a Ford man pretty much all my life and haven't had any issues.

You are correct, I should probably amend this to read, you are better off not owning a Ford IN CANADA.

I lived in the states until I was 26, my first Fords were there, I had the following trouble with a ****** salesmen not living up to his end of the bargain on a used F150 bought.

Told me the previous owner still had the 2nd key, he would call him and get it for me, days later the salesman told me he called the previous owner and they had lost the key.

That day I happened to find their name in the owners manual, I called him and discussed the truck with him and he said he gave both sets of keys to the dealer when he traded the truck, and no one had called him from the dealership. When I confronted the salesman his answer was, it's not big deal just run down to Wal-Mart and get one made. I handed him my key with the chip in it, and said "You go to Wal-Mart and get me a key that STARTS my truck and I will be happy with that." Needless to say he had no answer.

Also, I was promised new floor mats, when I arrived to get them, he handed me a set he had out of another used vehicle, stained and used, comment was "you didn't think I meant new floor mats with a used truck did you".

Called the Used Sales Manager and threatened to call the Ford Customer Care Line, he begged me to give him 24 hours to fix the problem. By the next day I had new floor mats, 2nd key and an apology from the salesman.

Ford Canada Customer Service has no teeth, you have absolutely no recourse in a small town to deal with the dealer. I have seen the quality of Ford go down the past 20 years, both Expeditions and my current F150 have had electrical issues. My current Expedition has the bubbling paint on the tailgate which Ford knows is an issue and won't fix.

So, once again, I would never again own a Ford in Canada, there is no recourse for the dealer.