Is the 4.6 strong enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the 5.4 for resale value. However, how does the 4.6 perform?

G

I have the 5.4 and it is pretty good. A friend bought one of the 4.6's, as the price was too good to be true.

It was. Just not enough power for the mountains.

He sold it a year later and got he 5.4, and is happy now.

Scott

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
probably good for states in the SE. Flat not very hilly.

JT

G

I have the 4.6 engine and regret it everytime I step on the gas. The everyday travel is not too bad, but don't try to climb a hill with the AC on. I can't complain too much because the truck is a 2000 and has over 80,000 mostly trouble free miles on it.

Pat

00 XLT

G

My '97 had the 4.6 in it...towed nice, but felt it wasn't enough. Bought the '00 with a 5.4...towed a powerwagon (5500lbs) with a 3 ton trailer for 7hrs...not a problem...

When we went to look at the '01, we couldn't turn down the deal so we bought an '01 with the 4.6 in it. I've towed with this truck my 3ton trailer loaded, but not fully loaded. It towed fine in the White Mountains and Green Mountains...

I don't tow that much anymore, so it wasn't worth having the 5.4 in the Expedition when the 4.6 does fine. Guy(NH)

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bear in mind that 2003 Expeditions are about 300-400 lbs. heavier than their 1997-2002 counterparts. May be enough weight to make the 2003 4.6 unusable in circumstances that were borderline for older models.

G

Wow...are they really 300lbs more? Is that because of the 3rd seat changes? What other differences are there with the 2003?

I won't let my wife go look at 2003...that's how I ended up with the 2001. :D Guy(NH)

G

I am looking to buy a 97 or 98, how is the longevity of the two motors? I would think the 5.4 would outlast a 4.6....any thoughts or facts? My price range has me looking at around 95 to 100K miles.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just on carpoint looking at the reliability reports for the expedition and no specifics on engine other than very reliable for all years made !

When you see the report for the land rover makes you wonder why people would even buy one.

G

longevity of either engine? I feel it depends how the truck was driven...if it towed heavy stuff a lot, etc...I haven't heard anything bad about either engine and both performed fine for me...Guy(NH)