Is this true about the transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Countrygirl

Reaction score
I visited a local shop today for an oil change. The clerk came in & told me I also needed an engine flush and a transmission flush.

I have 125,000 miles on my 2003 Expedition and have never had a transmission flush.

A man in the lobby told me that at this point, I should never get a transmission flush, because it will only cause problems. He said my transmission will start to slip and eventually go out if I do it. He said just keep the levels maintained and I should be OK.

I didn't ask enough questions, because I know nothing about transmissions.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so, why?

Thanks!

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
What I've read about tranny flushes and picked up from other sites. Anyone else is welcome to disagree....
Check the fluid with a dipstick every month, if it has turned dark and has a burning odor, get ready to CHANGE it, however......

In big letters in the Ford transmission service manuals it says "Warning: Use only clean automatic transmission fluid. Do not use any supplemental transmission fluid additives, treatments or cleaning agents. The use of these materials affects the operation of the transmission, resulting in internal component failure."

-The only ones who recommend a transmission, or engine, flush as a maintenance service are the people who make the machines and the people who sell the service.
-No automotive manufacturer in the world recommends a flush as regular service.
-Manufacturers specifically recommend against flushing services. Doing so will void new vehicle warranties.
-A transmission, or engine, that has been regularly serviced does not need a flush.
-Flush machine manufacturers specifically advise against flushing "high mileage" vehicles.

Rather than opting for an engine or transmission flush, it is better to change the oil and oil filters regularly.

Like I said, differing opinions are welcome. These are just what I have learned.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing good can come from a trans flush. I have never had one since my dad taught me at a young age never to let someone flush anything on my vehicles. Plus I always change my oil and filter on all of my vehicles every 3-4000 miles. The place that wanted to flush your engine and trans just wanted a couple hundred of your hard earned dollars. You were wise to walk away.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Nothing good can come from a trans flush. I have never had one since my dad taught me at a young age never to let someone flush anything on my vehicles. Plus I always change my oil and filter on all of my vehicles every 3-4000 miles. The place that wanted to flush your engine and trans just wanted a couple hundred of your hard earned dollars. You were wise to walk away.

Thumbs up!!!

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flushing the trans requires that the trans fluid is pressurized as it pushes the old fluid out. This increases the pressure in the trans and can cuase failure. Seals and gaskets are the first things that fail under these pressures.
I have seen dozens of perfectly goods cars lose the trans because of a flush. And i have seen many do fine.

My vehicles get the old fashion filter and fluid change. You are only replacing a portion of the fluid and there is no addition pressure on the components. Only trans failure i have had in 35 years is a vehicle that had 250k with 25k of towing twice its tow rate. My fault there.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not sure the trans flushing thing. I've heard of people with higher milage vehicles who've never changed their transmission fluid try to change it/flush it for the first time. A week or so after the change, the transmission fails.

I've also heard of people who when they transmission fluid change on a higher milage truck, they put all the old trans fluid in bottles, change out the filter, then pour the old fluid back in.

Since 2001, Ford stopped putting a drain plug in the torque converter, which pretty much necessitates hooking up a machine to do the swap. Some places do a flush, others do a complete fluid and filter exchange. The exchange is the better of the two.

But, like the guy said, if the transmission hasn't been serviced regularly, it's better to just leave it and top it off. New fluid has cleaners that may loosen junk and mess up the transmission. At least that's what I've read.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've always been told to never FLUSH the trans...only CHANGE the trans oil because it will cause probs...thats all i know.

OP
OP
Countrygirl

Countrygirl

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. Whew, so glad I didn't get the transmission flushed! Those oil change places sure like to push it, don't they? That and the engine flush.