To service the transmission, or not service the transmission? That is the question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Kahuna

Reaction score
My 2017 has 83k on it now. I have had it since 69k. It is driven about 4k a year and hauls nothing more than family, fishing rods and hunting rifles (I live on an island). I do not believe that the transmission has ever been serviced. It seems to be functioning perfectly. I loathe and detest automatic transmissions, but there is no alternative in this country. My question to the mechanics in the group is, Should I service this transmission? I have heard from many respected sources that it is a closed hydraulic system and tampering with it will cause more problems, than simply leaving it alone. In this forum and on other social media, one need not look far to find stories of folks that have serviced the transmission, only to have it fail a short while later. This is an automatic transmission, it will fail, but when it does, I don't want it to be my lack of care that can be blamed. Any advice or shared experiences are welcomed.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 has 83k on it now. I have had it since 69k. It is driven about 4k a year and hauls nothing more than family, fishing rods and hunting rifles (I live on an island). I do not believe that the transmission has ever been serviced. It seems to be functioning perfectly. I loathe and detest automatic transmissions, but there is no alternative in this country. My question to the mechanics in the group is, Should I service this transmission? I have heard from many respected sources that it is a closed hydraulic system and tampering with it will cause more problems, than simply leaving it alone. In this forum and on other social media, one need not look far to find stories of folks that have serviced the transmission, only to have it fail a short while later. This is an automatic transmission, it will fail, but when it does, I don't want it to be my lack of care that can be blamed. Any advice or shared experiences are welcomed.

Have the transmission fluid changed (not flushed) and the transmission filter changed - use the correct Motorcraft fluid and the correct Motorcraft filter.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regular service is 150k, but if you feel the need to do some preventative maintenance you can drain and fill with 6 qts Motorcraft LV, plus change the filter. It's a DIY, but can be messy since the pan must dropped to get the fluid out. Or you can pump a substantial quantity out through the refill hole before dropping the pan. I did mine at 138k. It was still operating well when I changed it, but I had some towing miles on it.

Herby

Reaction score
I have 225k miles on my 2007 Expedition EL. Purchased used with 172k. I changed the fluid upon purchased and again at 40k afterward. Fluid change included filter. I tow often and like the idea of having the protection of fresh fluid. I recall, the interval change followed is recommended by the OEM.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree. I pulled the pan on mine and changed what was in the pan at 100k. The dipstick measuring procedure which you do underneath the vehicle was interesting but not a big deal. OEM Motorcraft fluid as well.

OP
OP
B

Big Kahuna

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. The feedback I am getting is suggesting that just pulling the pan and changing the filter is the best option. This only replaces about a third of the fluid, but makes perfect sense. It will be adding some fresh fluid, but not completely altering the dynamics of the fluid all at once. I'll put this on the maintenance schedule for every other year, approximately every 10k.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. The feedback I am getting is suggesting that just pulling the pan and changing the filter is the best option. This only replaces about a third of the fluid, but makes perfect sense. It will be adding some fresh fluid, but not completely altering the dynamics of the fluid all at once. I'll put this on the maintenance schedule for every other year, approximately every 10k.

GM has issued a TSB advising technicians NOT to flush the automatic transmission, and this includes the 6-speed automatic co-developed with Ford (the TSB states it is okay to flush the transmission fluid cooler, to remove debris after a failure).

Many dealers sell a transmission flush which uses a machine and chemical cleaner sold by BG Products. Adding the cleaner is considered by GM to be adding a contaminant.

I realize the TSB is issued by GM - but I would never have a transmission flush done on my Ford.

proftomda

Reaction score
I am a ASE technician and the original owner of my 2001 Expedition XLT. My Expo has about 300,000 miles. I have performed a complete transmission fluid exchange (12-14 qts) with Valvoline Maxlife ATF and filter swap every 100,000 miles and getting ready to do the 3rd swap. Transmission operates and shifts like brand new. Do it.

Last edited: