Jack stand placement when doing brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is how I get all four wheels off the ground in 2 steps (1 per side).
This attachment for your floor jack not needed, but it better distributes the force to the frame as long as you're not fortunate enough to have a lift in your garage like me. Don't remember where I got it, but at least 15 years ago before HF was around here. Might have been PepBoys. Put the stands by the arrows and your good to go. Did this and ran my truck in all drive modes to try to detect noise I've been complaining about in another thread.

Attachments

• Expedition jacking position to raise 4 wheels.jpg
    Expedition jacking position to raise 4 wheels.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,213

SirJeffro

Reaction score
Just finished the rear brakes on my 05 EB just about 20 minutes ago.....

Don't know if this is right or acceptable or safe, but everything still runs and functions properly....ten inch 4x4 and HF floor jack on the rear differential got it high enough to use jack stands @ the arrow cutouts. Steady as a rock.

Job done!

Tomorrow, new JVC head unit.......

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished the rear brakes on my 05 EB just about 20 minutes ago.....

Don't know if this is right or acceptable or safe, but everything still runs and functions properly....ten inch 4x4 and HF floor jack on the rear differential got it high enough to use jack stands @ the arrow cutouts. Steady as a rock.

Job done!

Tomorrow, new JVC head unit.......

The owners manual says not to jack on the rear differential because it may cause the cover to leak. I've done it on Mercedes vehicles that have the flex shaft on the rear axles without a problem. You'll just have to keep an eye on it to make sure none develop, if you are worried.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The owners manual says not to jack on the rear differential because it may cause the cover to leak. I've done it on Mercedes vehicles that have the flex shaft on the rear axles without a problem. You'll just have to keep an eye on it to make sure none develop, if you are worried.

I usually use the diff to get it high enough and set it on stands as well. I agree, they say that just to keep liability off of them. Never had issues.

OP
OP
Z

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
I usually use the diff to get it high enough and set it on stands as well. I agree, they say that just to keep liability off of them. Never had issues.

I'll give that a try, now what about the front end? I see the cross member underneath the engine block but am not sure you can lift the whole vehicle from that point.

SirJeffro

Reaction score
Yeah, Andy I saw that too, after the fact, when I was looking up lug nut torque... I sure used to lift my Datsuns and Chevelles and Toyotas with the diff back when I was still in school and "young-n-stoopid." Plus I didn't have any owners manual for those vehicles ;o)

No, seriously, I get it and I'll keep an eye on it for a bit. And I'll use a different point for lifting in the future....plus I'm gonna search for one of those jack rigs that Darmahsd showed us in his post.

Thanks guys!