Joining the Cam Phaser Club! YAY! (ugh)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to get a little off-topic but do the "22 Expys have cam phaser issues?
I'm about ready to buy one.
I would have to say yes. Now the argument is that there have probably been 3 or more "kits" used over this generation of different parts, but ultimately I believe the issue is lubrication related along with the actual phaser design that makes it such an issue. But I'll be the first to say I'm wrong, I know there are actual Ford guru's on here that know way more than me.

Remember this, the customer service announcement that went out to current owners effectively said Ford will replace them once, then it's on the owner, which really to me means they know there is no permanent fix, and it could require additional replacements throughout the life of the vehicle.

OP
OP
FoMoCo_Stealth

FoMoCo_Stealth

Reaction score
Dealer confirmed that there is a Phaser issue, specifically on the passenger side. They are currently ordering parts. Well see what happens and how long it'l take to get the parts. Im waiting for the service writer to get back to me but I believe they will be replacing all 4 phasers.

As far as my AC, they found that I only had about half of the required refrigerant within the system. They put a vacuum on it, left it all day and it held. Between that and the visual inspection for dye, they found no leaks. And holy crap the refrigerant type required for these expeditions is VERY expensive. Lets see how long this lasts, maybe its a positive pressure leak?

Ill continue to update as I go. Though it may not be necessary since so many of you have gone through this already.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer confirmed that there is a Phaser issue, specifically on the passenger side. They are currently ordering parts. Well see what happens and how long it'l take to get the parts. Im waiting for the service writer to get back to me but I believe they will be replacing all 4 phasers.

As far as my AC, they found that I only had about half of the required refrigerant within the system. They put a vacuum on it, left it all day and it held. Between that and the visual inspection for dye, they found no leaks. And holy crap the refrigerant type required for these expeditions is VERY expensive. Lets see how long this lasts, maybe its a positive pressure leak?

Ill continue to update as I go. Though it may not be necessary since so many of you have gone through this already.
Tell the service advisor that you want the old phasers from both driver side and passenger side cams (to ensure the mechanic Actually replaced both sides as desbribed in the tsb and didnt just replace the passenger side)....

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The rear a/c evaporator is generally the culprit in many cases.

OP
OP
FoMoCo_Stealth

FoMoCo_Stealth

Reaction score
Tell the service advisor that you want the old phasers from both driver side and passenger side cams (to ensure the mechanic Actually replaced both sides as desbribed in the tsb and didnt just replace the passenger side)....
At drop off I'm going to ask for the damaged parts

The rear a/c evaporator is generally the culprit in many cases.

Ugh, i really hope its not that. Ive seen what some people have paid for that repair and i dont like it.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they were that dishonest they would have some old cam phasers laying around that they could give to the owner.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they were that dishonest they would have some old cam phasers laying around that they could give to the owner.
Yeah, that is what I always worry about when requesting parts. I always mark the item to be changed (if external) or take closeup pictures. Take closeup pictures of the bolts, no way they can go back in exactly the same position if removed.

My Z06 Corvette has paint markings on all the external engine fasteners, that way GM knows if say the valve covers have been removed. 20221227_130943.jpg

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've mentioned on here numerous times about how poor my AC is. Been "checked" numerous times by different dealers. They say everything is fine. Interestingly, yesterday coming home in 97*+ heat, after sitting in the sun for over an hour, on the way home, the AC was the coldest it's even been. To the point that I had to turn the temp up, which never happens during the day with this truck. I even looked several times to see what it was set at. It was a pleasure to be in it. So what's up with that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire