just how far can you go after zero miles to empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My tank holds 28 gallons. When the odometer warning says "0 miles to empty", my tank has 4.0 gallons left. I have measured this many times. I find it very annoying that the gauge is not accurate. What is the point of having a gauge if you have to guess how much gas is left during the last few gallons?

Regardless of your opinion regarding driving with some minimum amount of gas, or whether or not the fuel pump needs a particular level, shouldn't we at least have an accurate gauge so we can make an informed decision?
You may have four gallons but you can't use all four of those gallons. Most vehicles especially with larger tanks but it does vary depending on the shape, when they actually start sucking air and stall from lack of fuel still have close to a gallon or more in the tank.

Most of the Fords I have owned have had quite accurate fuel gauges. Now once a tank has been off in the fuel pump replaced all bets are off. It only takes a little bit heavy hand to bend the float arm a little bit and it will not be exactly like it was before. Or, if you're installing a fuel pump complete module like many people do you have a new float system which is not going to be the same as the old one.
I have run every vehicle I've ever owned with the distance to empty indicator down to 0 miles to empty and further.
It certainly depends on whether you're in stop-and-go traffic or if you're rolling on a Surface Road at 40 miles per hour versus driving on the highway at 70.
You would actually make it more miles right around 42 to 45 miles per hour on flat ground then you would on the highway because you're using more fuel to maintain that speed. But it's the Stop & Go in traffic and the idling that kills your miles per gallon versus Highway.
You can always go a few miles once you hit 0.
The older GM's on the other hand were highly inaccurate especially when they get down to the lower range. Most of the GM's I own don't even have distance to empty but I certainly wouldn't trust them.
You can be driving all day and come home and park AGM with two notches above the empty mark and then go back out 20 minutes later I started and it won't even go to empty but then in the first three fourths of a mile you drive it will go back up to three or four lines above empty. They have a crazy mind of Their Own.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
I hear you O7navi. That may all be well and correct. I just wish my gas gauge was accurate. You know, Zero on the gauge = zero gas, so I know where empty is, instead of guessing or "calculating". Especially when low, that is the critical time to need to know. I suppose if I lived in a place where there was a gas station next to every Starbucks, it wouldn't be a problem. As it is, 150 miles to the station, 150 miles back, that only leaves 120 miles for driving around, plus whatever tanks I carry.

Oh well, I guess we live in an age of progress where we are not allowed to know how much gas is really in the tank, can't have control of our tire traction, need a robot to tell us when we have a flat tire, and a computer to decide when and how to brake. It is definitely more fun without all these annoyances, but just looking around I can see how many of us need the assistance.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
TobyU, I can definitely use all four of the gallons below "zero miles left", and I regularly do. And every other car I have owned has had an accurate fuel gauge. But it is this one I am complaining about. Because it is not accurate. This is 2020. How can a gauge not be accurate? There is full. There is empty. There is half way. What is there to be confused about? Because FORD wants to be my mother and not let me run out of gas? I only wish I was accurately informed about my fuel level so I could make better decisions regarding when to get gas. I think I am perfectly capable of making this decision. Apparently others have the same question. Get out your calculator if you drive a Ford!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TobyU, I can definitely use all four of the gallons below "zero miles left", and I regularly do. And every other car I have owned has had an accurate fuel gauge. But it is this one I am complaining about. Because it is not accurate. This is 2020. How can a gauge not be accurate? There is full. There is empty. There is half way. What is there to be confused about? Because FORD wants to be my mother and not let me run out of gas? I only wish I was accurately informed about my fuel level so I could make better decisions regarding when to get gas. I think I am perfectly capable of making this decision. Apparently others have the same question. Get out your calculator if you drive a Ford!
Well then that fuel gauge is just inaccurate. I don't own newer stuff but I've never had one that was that far off. All of my Ford's will go down to 0 miles to empty and they certainly won't drive 4 gallons worth after that. You would end up on the side of the road. I would say on the highway the most I've ever seen one go is about 2227 miles. You're on fumes after that. Around town you can easily go 12 or 13 miles but I I feel safe pushing it five or ten past. I'm the guy who literally wait till it hits 0 miles to empty and then I reset a trip indicator to zero to see how many miles I'm going after it has 0.
I've never run a Ford product out of fuel that had a distance to empty indicator. I ran out of gas one time in an 89 Lincoln Town Car but I do not believe it had a distance to empty.
I can think of six times off the top of my head that I ran out of gas in a GM vehicle..lol.