K&N causing my carburetor to get dirty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took my intake off the other day and saw that the flap going in to the carburetor has some black grime on it. I've only had my k&n for 2 weeks, and was wondering if this is letting dirt through, or if it could have happened with my old stock filter. Also how do I clean it?

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carburator? Throttle body? If it's the TB, then some TB cleaner should help, right?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If the filter is over oiled the oil will coat everything
and make it dirty. I'm not a big fan of K&N filters

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you are seeing normal oil in the intake from the PCV system blowing oil into the intake system. They have proven that only an extremely over-oiled K&N will leak a little bit of oil on the intake.
Matt R

ktrjones12

Reaction score
Using spray carburetors cleaner on a small engine carb is not a good suggestion. Factory recommendations are to use brake parts cleaner, compressed air and tag wire to clean a carburator. Most small engine carbs are made from an aluminum alloy and then coated with a laquer type coating. Spray carb cleaner or any caustic carb cleaner for that matter, can take off the coating and make the carb inoperable.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The throttle bodies say on them to not use any cleaners on them because they have a special coating on them! If i remember correctly the tag is located where the intake connects to the tb.