K/N intake Metal vs. composite???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So K&N has two types of intakes for the 5.4L for "cold air" applications. Apparently the FIPK with the composite tubing is quieter, and cooler, but the 77 series with the metal tubing is louder and slightly more powerful. Can anyone explain their experiences with the two so that I can get a real world comparison? How much louder is the metal tube intake? Any complaints? My stock expy is pretty quiet. Sometimes I wish I could hear more of the V8 roar.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a K&N, but I do have a plastic/composite AFE on my 4.6L. It is defiantly louder than stock.

I personally don't have much expertise in the subject, but apparently there is much debate on the metal vs. plastic/composite CAI issue. Some people say there will be more heatsoak with a metal, others say that it won't matter.

What's the price difference between the two?

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you'll notice a difference with either one. Especially on a 98, where the intake and heads are the biggest bottlenecks to your engine.

OP
OP
N

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the heads are a big bottleneck is there a replacement that generates more power? A direct bolt on?

OP
OP
N

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As for the price difference in intakes they are relatively the same price, so I'll probably be going with the metal one for old times sake. :)

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought the metal 77 series myself just because i liked how it looked and i figured metal would be better. The price difference was like 30 bucks more for the plastic ... I really wanted to hear some more roar too

OP
OP
N

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like I will be going with metal after all. How was the sound difference? Did it sound more like a V8? Where did you get yours from?

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well i actually dont have it yet lol I bought it on Saturday shipping says it will be here tuesday. I have a buddy with the same one on a dodge ram, his truck is really loud due to a ton of mods but he said you will only really notice it when you get on it. I got mine at autoanything.com. The cheapest price i could find anywhere.

OP
OP
N

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me know if you can how long the install was, and how difficult it was. I want to know what I'm getting myself into.
Thanks.

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will do, ill even take a pic so you can see it in there if you want. After I bought it i second guessed myself because my engine has hardly any chrome or metal showing everything is black in there but then i figured i would like the disparity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65