Knock knock...low end knock, piston bearings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a knock that started a while ago. Dint pay much attention to it because there are long gaps of time it doesnt happen. But the colder it get the more frequent it has become. It happens more if sitting on incline.

Its sounds to be coming from the low end of the motor. It starts when I start it up after its been sitting over night and lasts about a minute or two then doesn't or hasn't come back when shes warmed up.

Any ideas?

If it turns out to be the piston bearing on the crank can I just replace them as long as the journals are not damaged?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Probably the easiest way to get to the bottom of the problem is to pull the oil pan and look at the rod ends. It would also give you the opportunity to check the oil pickup screen for sludge or debris. That could cause low flow when first starting or in cold weather.

Although it's kind of a 'band-aid' fix and not a very fun job when you're lying on your back, you could change out the rod bearings while you're under there. Assuming, of course, that the journals are in good shape. I'd get some stock replacement bearings, assembly lube and some plasti-gauge and see what your clearances are.

Obviously, it would be better to have the crank ground and polished, but that's a completely different level of repair.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a knock if its super cold out and at first start up. i think its a sticky valve. thats what my gpa told me. but who knows. it goes away after about 2-5 mins once shes warmed up.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im going to open her up next week and take a look. Is there anything else I can replace while I have the pan off?