Knock sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
okay. since I bought the expy back in November of 13, since then it has had a rattle from the engine that I had chalked up to be the missing exhaust studs. then I discovered the code for the knock sensor. well, today I put 93 octane fuel into it. filled it up from near empty too. the rattling noise is gone so I am thinking it's the knock sensor not letting it run proper on 87 octane. what do y'all think?

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is it actual knock or ping? As he truck is designed to rum on 87 and have a ping no matter what.

Note: the fuel change will not a difference n economy (my opinion)

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From 87 to 93 I didn't see any change in economy. Just that the engine runs much quieter under load than it has ever ran. I do have an engine code for the knock sensor as well

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can live with it is up to you. Knock sensor is a simple device, but must doing something to the engine. Whats you MPG? If you getting less than 10 i wouldconsider changing it. To change it is big PITA job, you'll need a set of intake gaskets. You'll need to remove the entire intake system, belt, alternator, upper radiator hose, EGR, disconnect fuel rail, and harness.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mp is 16 to 19 depending on how I drive and where I drive. knock sensor lives under the intake that I have already had off when I bought the truck so I am aware of that beast lol. I will replace that when I get the head gaskets replaced over the course of the next months. right now my time is going into this Taurus i bought to temporarily take the place of the expy unless I find something terribly wrong with the expy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik