LATCH system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
:confused: Ok guys...so I have the '99 Eddie Bauer 5.4 4X4 out getting her ready for the winter. Since last winter Ive been blessed with a son, 4 months old today. What Im needing is information on how to install his car seat in the middle of the 2nd row and use the latch system, those hooks that can anchor the car seat to the vehicle. Currently I have his seat in the middle row using the lap belt to secure it, but Id just feel better if I could use that LATCH mechanism also. Any info appreciated...

Bremsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats on the lil one.

You can check the manual, but I don't think the 99 was equipped with the latch system. I know my 98 doesn't have it and I'm not sure if any 1st gens were equipped. The system does make it super easy (have it in other cars), but I feel the belts are just as reliable/safe. IMO, the seat is going to make more of a difference than the attachment system provided it's installed correctly. If you are having a tough time there are places in every area (many fire stations for example) that can provide help with installing the seat correctly.

OP
OP
ConwayLaFamilia
Reaction score
thanks Bremsen, he was 3 months early and I almost lost him and his mother, so you can imagine how careful I wanna be here... Youre right LATCH came out in 2003...anyone know if 2003+ seats will fit into my '99? Id really like to use the seatbelt and the LATCH system...thanks again

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on the back of the 2nd row, there are little "loops" that velcro to the back of the seat. those are the anchor points for the 1st gen expy. run the clips from the car seat between the back of the seat and the bottom of the seat and latch it to those loops. thats what i used for all 3 of my kids and they worked great.

twisted

Reaction score
as i am a father of 4 i can tell you look on the bottom side of the seat and look for a horizontal bar approx 1/4in in dia. you can hook to that and use lap belt. you can also buy an anchor system for the seats at babiesrus. kit includes anchors that attach to the mounting bolts for the seat. good luck

Tigster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 2 boys, The latch system is only recommended for under 40 pounds then it is recommended to use the belts. I would use the belt (I use it for both of my sons now)

Dont bother replacing the seats, keep what you have. The idea of a LATCH is it makes it easier to install the seat properly.

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html