Leaking from underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Ok so I'm a new DIYer so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

So I was doing a front end inspection today and noticed while I was under the truck that I saw some water leaking from one of the exhaust pipe joints. It was just a few drops, but I remember seeing it leak more than a few drops when I changed my oil a few weeks ago. Is this Normal?

Also there is oil on many of my oil pan bolts. I don't noticed oil drip to the ground, so is this oil normal? Here are some pictures.

IMG_20161123_113150264_HDR.jpg IMG_20161123_113658740_HDR.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water vapor is a byproduct of combustion so when you start the truck until it comes up to operating temperature you can see water dripping out of the exhaust system. Since your pipes aren't welded it will leak our any place it can find an opening. It will happen more in the winter but you will also see it in the summer too. If you do a lot of short runs, water can collect in the pipe and eventually drip out.

On your oil pan bolts, either they are just a little loose or your gasket has compressed as far as it can and it's time to replace it.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info Andy. So can i just tighten the oil pan bolts with my ratchet or do they need to be torqued to spec?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info Andy. So can i just tighten the oil pan bolts with my ratchet or do they need to be torqued to spec?

I'm sure there is a torque spec for them but I don't know what it is. At this point I would put a ratchet on it and hold it up near the top (by the socket) and give it a slight turn to see if it moves. If it does with your hand in the same place turn until it stops moving. In other words, just snug them up, wipe them off, and check it in a day or two to see if it is still weeping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986