Lean codes bank 1 and 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DontBeJeff

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to test and re-test. I have those two codes, and all smoke tests came back without a leak, and for a while so did the fuel pressure test. After a while, something will start to show. Don't just shotgun parts - I have learned that while I did replace some hoses that where definitely worn, none of them fixed my issue, and some parts that seemed good I replaced anyway and still no luck. In the end, it was the fuel pump that was going bad, as doing test over test I noticed that it kept getting worse, and because I don't want to do more work then I should, got a mechanic to verify that it was indeed going bad. Have that as a weekend project to replace it here in a few weeks, so hopefully that fixes my problem!

OP
OP
blue oval guy

blue oval guy

Reaction score
Thanks for feedback, yes i was going to start with replacing some vacuum hoses, namely PCV elbows and hoses on both sides. What was the test for the fuel pump, just a gauge reading at the fuel rail while at idle? Thanks.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just spray a little carb cleaner around the areas where you suspect a vacuum leak. If you have one the engine will speed up slightly when you hit it.

When I was doing this for a living there was no such thing as a smoke machine. We would always find them with carb cleaner.

But we did not have computer controlled engines back then either.

But if you have a decent leak it will show up with carb cleaner

Not that the smoke machine isn't a good idea, I just don't think its needed most of the time

DontBeJeff

Reaction score
As for the fuel pressure, on the passanger side bank's fuel rail, there is a schrader valve to put a fuel pressure gauge on. Look up the fuel pressure for the engine you have. I have a 5.4, so getting closer to 30psi and lower is starting to show that it was going bad for me. Also, it didn't hold pressure after turning off the engine. Not a big deal for a lean code, but it is also a sign that the fuel pump is needing replacing in the long run as it should hold whatever pressure it was at when it was turned off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman