LED Bar In Bumper Air Scoop

Go for it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GZ123

Reaction score
I picked up a cheap Harbor Freight LED bar that fits exactly in the opening in the bumper that scoops air onto the small radiators in front of the main radiator. I believe these are for tranny and oil?? I have a 1997 XLT 4X4 4.6L W.

In the photo below, you can see that the bar blocks pretty much the entire flow area. Has anyone else mounted an LED bar here and if so, have you had issues with overheating? I live in a cool coastal area, but in the summer trips inland to the river can be in the 90s. I'd also like to take this on a surf trip to Baja sometime down the line, and that climate is what concerns me most. Thanks in advance for any advice!
led bar.jpg

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you'll have heat issues with the entire front grill open. However, a light bar mounted at that height is going to be less effective than if it were mounted higher. FWIW, on my '11, I mounted it behind the grill using thread steel rods attached from above.

OP
OP
G

GZ123

Reaction score
ManUp,

Behind the grille is my plan B. I agree with you that higher will result in a better beam spread. How did going through the grille affect the light output? The grille on my truck has about an inch of depth within that plastic grid and I'm worried it'll block the flood lights (the last right and left 4 LEDs on this bar are flood while the rest in the center are spot on this bar). I've even considered using a dremel to cut out a space in the plastic grill to recess it into. That idea is a bit more of a project than I'm motivated for right now though, and I think it could turn out looking pretty garbage if I don't get the cuts spot on.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up a cheap Harbor Freight LED bar that fits exactly in the opening in the bumper that scoops air onto the small radiators in front of the main radiator. I believe these are for tranny and oil?? I have a 1997 XLT 4X4 4.6L W.

In the photo below, you can see that the bar blocks pretty much the entire flow area. Has anyone else mounted an LED bar here and if so, have you had issues with overheating? I live in a cool coastal area, but in the summer trips inland to the river can be in the 90s. I'd also like to take this on a surf trip to Baja sometime down the line, and that climate is what concerns me most. Thanks in advance for any advice!
View attachment 39573

Which headlights are those?
Hard to install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
G

GZ123

Reaction score
Hammer,

I can't find the exact pair I bought, but hop on Amazon and search "Ford Lightning Headlight" The aren't a Ford part, but they work just fine and were super easy to install. You simply pop out your existing housing in the same way you'd do to swap out your bulb, but rather than removing the bulb from the housing, disconnect the electrical clip and take both out. You then pop in the new housings in reverse order. Do the passenger side first, there is more clearance to see what is going on and figure out the process. When you take out your old housing, match up the thread lengths on the three posts on your new housing so you can start from a close-ish match to aim the new ones. The whole process took me about 40 minutes. I think the pair is about $50 and even came with bulbs (not good ones, but a free spare is a free spare).

EDIT: Found them:

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-19...r+and+Driver+Side&qid=1609732034&sr=8-61&th=1

OP
OP
G

GZ123

Reaction score
Probably just a bot. I already reported the post as spam, so hopefully moderator/admin will delete the account.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ManUp,

Behind the grille is my plan B. I agree with you that higher will result in a better beam spread. How did going through the grille affect the light output? The grille on my truck has about an inch of depth within that plastic grid and I'm worried it'll block the flood lights (the last right and left 4 LEDs on this bar are flood while the rest in the center are spot on this bar). I've even considered using a dremel to cut out a space in the plastic grill to recess it into. That idea is a bit more of a project than I'm motivated for right now though, and I think it could turn out looking pretty garbage if I don't get the cuts spot on.

The grill on the '11 is a lot more open, but my light bar is set in there pretty bar back with no noticeable impact on light output. I used a single row light bar, about 30" L. I just attached 2 steel threaded rods right through stock holes in the plastic cover at the front of the engine and secured them with bolts. Then I drilled 2 holes in a piece of straight steel and mounted it to the rods. Light bar is mounted to that straight piece of steel. The threaded rods have the added bonus of allowing you to easily raise/lower the light bar to find a preferred height.

Here's the bar installed: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-the-expy-today.15732/page-472#post-387148

And here it is illuminated: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-the-expy-today.15732/page-472#post-387215

OP
OP
G

GZ123

Reaction score
That looks gooood. Nice work. I can tell that the '11 has a ton more space back there. That opening in the grille is letting the beam from your bar do its thing.

doodlebugs-93

Reaction score
I have a 30 inch led light bar mounted to my luggage rack, it's firmly mounted on the front roof rack cross-over section with the factory brackets I'm pleased with how it looks and how well it performs ( when I need to use it from time to time ) my 2002 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition with my 30 inch led lightbar mounted to my luggage rack.jpg