LED swap interior dome lights WIP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonyhome

Reaction score
I popped the center dome (remove one screw in the glasses compartment, and gently pull down), spliced some wires and installed an LED harness and clipped in the LEDs. When you look at the harness there's one black wire coming to the lights directly from the wire connector, the others come from the light switch. I used that as the common wire for the LEDs and spliced a Y for it to go to each LED.

The LED harness I made I pre-wired and soldered / heat shrink to make it robust. It was spliced to the existing wires to avoid damaging anything or making irreversible modifications to the harness. Similarly, I stuck the LEDs with double side foam tape on the light socket to have the same lighting angle. They too can be removed and original bulbs reinstalled.

It's a very small upgrade, easy fix, but it's my first modification post :)

Here's the back of the center dome light, with the LED harness spliced in with 3 wires. Notice the black wire is common, and the other two are coming from the switches below the brown plastic.
photo_2023-08-19_15-10-43.jpg

Here's the dome lights with the LEDs taped on the sockets. I used some of that tape to control the location of the wires.
photo_2023-08-19_15-10-42.jpg

The resulting light is much brighter and uniform. The down side is these cheap LEDs I picked are cool instead of warm white, with probably a low CRI, making them a bit harsh.
photo_2023-08-19_15-10-41.jpg

OP
OP
S

sonyhome

Reaction score
I did the same for the trunk dome light.

I have not figured out how to pull out the teardrop 2nd row vanity lights. They look very fragile when I pull, and clamped hard to the roof. Help on that would be welcome.

Last vanity modification planned: replace the CD changer with another cigarette lighter, and maybe a 12V barrel outlet OR a light, but that needs a switch. The CD changer hole is too big for a cigarette lighter and too shallow, so it needs a plug and more effort. The CD changer harness wires 4 and 10 carry 12V on all the time and ground. They are on top of each other on the plug.

I may drill a hole in the middle seam and plug the existing hole.

photo_2023-08-19_15-10-40.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani