License plate holder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greetings forum. I live in Nevada where it is required to display the front license plate. The plastic holder for that is held on by what looks to be plastic rivets. One of mine broke off and the others aren’t far behind. Anyone have a suggestion about a repair? I was thinking of some kind of anchor, but not sure.

Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greetings forum. I live in Nevada where it is required to display the front license plate. The plastic holder for that is held on by what looks to be plastic rivets. One of mine broke off and the others aren’t far behind. Anyone have a suggestion about a repair? I was thinking of some kind of anchor, but not sure.

Thanks!

Since the holes are already in the bumper cover, use a stainless steel screw to secure the plate holder. Many neighborhood hardware stores have fastener trays and sell individual fasteners.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Unfortunately there isn't any room behind the upper holes to really get in there, (the bumper beam is right behind the cover).

I'm still looking for a good solution too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. 99WhiteC5Coupe had an idea I’m going to try. If I can find some stainless steel screws of a large enough gauge about 3/4” long, it might do the trick. I have to figure out how to get the other plastic rivets out without enlarging the hole in the plastic bumper. I might drill them out.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tough to drill out a plastic rivit, they'll just want to spin. Its possible but can be aggravating, maybe try holding the head with a pair of needle nose pliers as you drill. Can't really get the head ground off either.

Might think about a dab or two of construction adhesive or silicone between the bumper and bracket. It'll be a heck of a surprise for the next owner but should make for a fairly permanent bond.

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually thought of the glue. I am really surprised Ford would use such a shoddy connection in the first place.

Jimdar

Reaction score
Plastic rivets and the tool to use them are inexpensive at the auto store. I had a rivet give way years ago and the replacement rivet is still doing its job.

Plati

Reaction score

Thanks!
2014EL. Mine broke off on my first trip, I think a snowbank got it.
Its not pretty but I put stainless bolts (with metal screw thread) into existing holes. Had to machine down the hex bolt length to get it to work. Added tywraps on top for solid fastening. If I did it again I might slip a nylon bolt in from back and nut it down vs the ss bolt
(not sure there is enough room to do that)
I know it looks like hell, dont care .. its a vehicle.
IMG_0157.JPG

Last edited: