Lifter sticking maybe? I dunno.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy0811

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've got a 98 Expy XLT 4x4 and i keep hearing a ticking sound like a lifter is sticking. I have used some of that motor honey oil additive and it seemed to help a lil bit but only for a couple days. I haven't noticed and oil leaks or anything like that and the dip stick seems to read normal. Looking for any advice as to what this could be. Could it possibly be the oil pump? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your motor does not have lifters.
It is overhead cam.
Look for an exhaust leak around the exhaust manifolds. The studs tend to break off and cause leaks.
Could also be timing chain clatter or "slap". This is common on these motors. The tensioner for the timing chain is powered by oil pressure. Over time the little holes that the oil goes through get slightly clogged and the tensioners don't work as well as they should. A good indicator of this would be if you hear a ticking sound when you first start the truck especially on cold mornings but it goes away after the motor warms up.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
x2 on the exhaust leak probably a broken stud. your engine does have lifters but they are a different style , but they function similiarly.

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually there are no lifters on an overhead cam setup they are called followers. They are more closely related to rockers. They ride on top of the cam and push the valve open.
There is actually a known problem with fords modular v8 design where if you run oil that is to thick it doesn't lube between the cam and follower properly and wears the lobe on the cam down.

2000ttownexpy

Reaction score
Your motor does not have lifters.
It is overhead cam.
Look for an exhaust leak around the exhaust manifolds. The studs tend to break off and cause leaks.
Could also be timing chain clatter or "slap". This is common on these motors. The tensioner for the timing chain is powered by oil pressure. Over time the little holes that the oil goes through get slightly clogged and the tensioners don't work as well as they should. A good indicator of this would be if you hear a ticking sound when you first start the truck especially on cold mornings but it goes away after the motor warms up.

Any serious concern in regard to the timing chain/tensioner? Or just something that's kind of the nature of the beast, so to speak...??

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone having a major breakdown due to the timing tensioner failing. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened just that I haven't heard about it. My f150 chain clatters when I first start it and my wife's expedition does it all the time. I'm actually going to change hers out the summer when I get time. I also need to change her head gasket so I'll do all that at the same time.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The overhead cam mod motors do have hydraulic cam followers/ hydraulic lash adjusters/ slack adjustors which ever term you prefer to call them that resemble lifters. Many people still call them lifters although they are technically not. These are used to maintain zero clearance between the cam lobe and roller rocker just as hydraulic lifter would. On one side of the rocker you have the valve and the other is the "hydraulic lash adjuster" with the cam acting on the middle of the roller rocker. The lash adjuster is the pivot point of the rocker. Lifters is a lot easier to say and most understand what you are refering too. See if I can dig up some pics..

Found in ford modular rebuild book..

lash adjuster under rocker on left. Valve on right. Cam lobe acts upon roller in middle of rocker. Cam is missing of course in this photo. These work by oil pressure just as a lifter does to maintain zero lash.

These can have the same issues as a lifter does if it cannot maintain zero clearance as designed thus ticking.

But as said earlier...exhaust leak around the heads is very common with these motors when the studs break off. Makes a perfect ticking noise.. :)

These are also known for ejecting spark plugs. Make sure a plug has not worked its way loose. Many times these will also make a ticking sound before ejecting the plug.

Attachments

• lifter.jpg
    lifter.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:

BassinFever

Reaction score
Make sure you are "ONLY" using 5-20 oil with no thickening additives and an oil filter with an anti drainback valve. Cheap filters do not have them and the engine will rattle in the morning at first start up if it does not have one.

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cheap filters do not have them and the engine will rattle in the morning at first start up if it does not have one.

I have used a Motorcraft filter since day 1 with 5w-20 and mine has done this since 60k miles. I now use 5qts of a high mileage 5w-30 and one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. My cold start rattle, oil consumption, and oil drips have diminished since using this combo for the past 8k or so miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition