Liftgate window problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PappaBullCC

Reaction score
I have an '09 King Ranch expedition with 41,000 miles. Several weeks ago the lift-gate window started opening on its own. The dome lights come on and I lose power assist. The dealer has replaced the window lock assembly but the problem is still there. They've been talking to Ford engineers about the problem but currently have no solution. Any ideas??????

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an '09 King Ranch expedition with 41,000 miles. Several weeks ago the lift-gate window started opening on its own. The dome lights come on and I lose power assist. The dealer has replaced the window lock assembly but the problem is still there. They've been talking to Ford engineers about the problem but currently have no solution. Any ideas??????

Hi PappaBullCC,

I want to help you with this. Please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, and dealer info.

Ashley

gears351

Reaction score
Papa bull, please post what they tell you or you find out, my 08 does the same thing - it'll go so far as to actually have the whole darn hatch open itself! I'll walk out and theres the hatch up. We'll get in to go somewhere and that stupid message center is telling me the rear window/hatch is ajar - and no one has hit the glass button on the gate or on the remote.

Thanks

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Papa bull, please post what they tell you or you find out, my 08 does the same thing - it'll go so far as to actually have the whole darn hatch open itself! I'll walk out and theres the hatch up. We'll get in to go somewhere and that stupid message center is telling me the rear window/hatch is ajar - and no one has hit the glass button on the gate or on the remote.

Thanks

gears351,

Have you been to the dealer for this concern? They're in the best position to diagnose your Expedition.

Ashley

OP
OP
P

PappaBullCC

Reaction score
We picked up the Expedition from the dealer yesterday(AutoNation Ford Mazda in Corpus Christi, Texas). The problem appears to be fixed now. They replaced the rear hatch lock module and the "smart" module. They believe the smart module to have been the problem.

I am really glad we have the bumper-to-bumper extended warranty because they had the vehicle 2 weeks and it only cost us the $100 deductible.

gears351

Reaction score
Ashley, I don't want to pay my local dealer $89 (diagnostic fee) for them to tell me I need to spend another $400 plus labor on that control module - as it is I have to re-set the module every 2-3 months in order for the gate to stop opening itself at random. It stinks to have such a heavily computerized vehicle out of warranty. :(