Liftgate won't open with outside button, but will open with remote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m waiting on a new shifter and trans wiring harness to ship. Wire harness wasn’t retained up along side of transmission by the shop that did the motor swap and it laid on the catalytic converter melting it. I noticed the shifter had a piece broken that holds it in each gear position. What I just found out after searching to find why my cluster back lighting won’t turn off, that broken part in the shifter is part of a switch that tells the computer the vehicle is in park. So now I’m guessing thats why I can’t use power lift gate with remote. Idk

Mikezr

Reaction score
it's the switch I'm willing to bet if you take it out your gonna find the contacts and maybe the insides of the switch are corroded beyond repair.

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
I've had my lift-gate apart several times. I don't think that I'd recommend it in cold weather. I had to yank on the plastic panels pretty hard.
If the 2014 is similar to my 2011, then this switch should work. I repaired mine, though it was a hassle and I wouldn't do it to save $18. I did it due to the timing.
Once the interior cover is off, the handle came off with 2 nuts, 10mm (I think) on an extension and one wire. Then the handle needs to be disassembled. Nothing complicated, just multiple steps. When you can see the switch, you can pop it out and pop in the new one.

Good luck!