Location of A/C evaporator drain tube 2022 Expedition Limited Stealth 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homeuser9

Reaction score
Noticing a musty smell for first few minutes of driving this summer with A/C on. I replaced the cabin air filter yesterday and noticed that I don't see any condensation dripping down below the truck when the A/C is running in this muggy air. I think my drain tube is clogged and have an air compressor to shoot some air into it....if only I could find the drain tube or tubes (if one in front and rear). Anyone have pictures or detailed description on where that thing pokes down? Anyone with a WORKING drain tube can probably see where they're dripping from underneath.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noticing a musty smell for first few minutes of driving this summer with A/C on. I replaced the cabin air filter yesterday and noticed that I don't see any condensation dripping down below the truck when the A/C is running in this muggy air. I think my drain tube is clogged and have an air compressor to shoot some air into it....if only I could find the drain tube or tubes (if one in front and rear). Anyone have pictures or detailed description on where that thing pokes down? Anyone with a WORKING drain tube can probably see where they're dripping from underneath.

This TSB has instructions and pictures on how to repair the drain tube on 2018 - 2020 Expedition models.

The photos may help you locate the drain tube on your 2022 model: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168762-0001.pdf

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. Sadly Ford continues to let this issue go without fixing it at assembly time. This issue has been going on for close to 30 years now. Buy the elbow, boil it in hot water to soften is up, then slide it on the existing drain pipe coming out the firewall. Problem solved. When the vehicle is traveling at highway speeds, high pressure builds up in the engine bay and forces drain water to flow back against the drainpipe pass-thru grommet and eventually soaks the passenger-side carpet padding.

Ford 4M2Z-6A614-AA Drain Elbow

08f89dc440c8257a3f63898bceb92c1f.jpg

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had mine in 2019 Expedition in June of this year for this problem. Showed the tech the TSB for this part that was omitted during the build phase. Since the elbow was installed under warranty the musty smell has never reoccured. The poster is right regarding engine heat into that drain tube creating it not to drain properly. On newer models I can't say for certain but, it would be a good place to start looking at or for the drain tube.

dlosangeles

Reaction score
Did you figure it out? My 2021 expedition had a clogged drain. I took it in to dealership last month and they drained it and cleaned it. They did something to the blower setting and they were able to drain the water. It was a lot of water coming out. They kept the vehicle for a week to see if they could figure the issue. They just drained the system and use some foam to clean it. The techs never said what the issue was.

Now a month and half has passed and the musky smell has returned. I don't see any water coming out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett