Looking for recommendations to replace factory speakers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Resjudicata

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expedition XLT with base audio system and w/o factory subwoofer. I replaced the head unit with a Clarion NX404 in order to get navigation and bluetooth capabilities. The factory system sounded good to me but it just didn't have the features I needed. Now the sound just seems a bit incomplete. I think it is just missing the low frequency over the factory. I adjusted the sound to a more base oriented arrangement on the head unit which helps. However, I'm wondering if this head unit is simply made to use a subwoofer.

Here is a link to the head unit:
Clarion U.S.A | NX404

I'm not looking to get any massive amount of base or volume. I'm just thinking to add a little. I'm looking at adding one of these under the front or rear seats:
Clarion U.S.A | SRV250

Does anyone think this would help? If anyone has wired one of these up, do I just connect it to the sub-out connector on the head unit and to it's own power lead? Does this type of add-on sub use the sub-on wire coming from the head unit to switch the subs internal amp on?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, so, if I'm reading you right it doesn't seem like you're a huge audiophile or anything... What my suggestion would be is to first, make sure your high pass filter is not set on the deck because it could be cutting your lows. Then, I'd tune the system correctly. There are multiple videos on youtube as to how to tune your car stereo with using a mobile phone based RTA (real Time Analyzer). I know some people will want to shoot me for saying that but it's free and it works pretty darn well.

The manual wouldn't load for me via Clarion's website so I don't know how many bands you have for an EQ or if the frequencies are adjustable, however I'm sure it should at least give you some way of tuning better. The reason your system sounds so different is that it isn't tuned correctly, the factory system was tuned to best suit the install and you have a universal plug and play deck now so you have to adjust or deal with it...

What you do is flatten out all eq's on the deck (remove all Loudness and bass setings), launch the RTA on your mobile, and play Pink Noise (again available through youtube, search Pink Noise RTA and the first one is what I use), and you try to make the line on the RTA as flat as possible with what adjustability you have.

This is a good way to start, and if you still don't like it, my suggestion would be to spend the money you'd spend buying that sub and pay a shop to soundproof your doors, there's no better investment in my opinion, made a WORLD of difference in my Expy, the midbass now shines! Of course you could do it yourself but I don't want to assume either way :)

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will need to hook up an RCA from the dedicated low pass(subwoofer) output on the NX404 and run it too the SRV. Other than that you do need power and ground to the SRV as well you need to hook up the amp turn on wire on the NX404 (blue with white in the main harness)

This said if you have the ability to listen to the SRV first do it. its not a big bass machine. its a good filler so it may be jsut what your looking for. As well, the suggestion for sound deadening is a great one. AS WELL dont be afraid to do some speakers while the doors are open. You can get some great speakers for very good prices these days that will also help "fill in" your sound stage.

As for tuning sound, under the Settings in the audio section the audio adjustments are under "BEAT EQ" There are 4 presets with adjustability to them plus a custom mode that will allow you to do treble mid and bass individually.

If you have any other questions let me know I have the NX404 as well in my truck.

OP
OP
R

Resjudicata

Reaction score
Thank you both for the advice. I will look at downloading the RTA to my phone and use that to make more adjustments. It sounds like there are more options on the stereo than I initially found.

And, no I'm not a big audiophile. So, I'll take the advice given and it will likely result in enough to keep me happy.

Thanks again.

Chris

OP
OP
R

Resjudicata

Reaction score
Getting in and adjusting the sound on the head unit made all the difference. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now, I need to find a better external mic for my bluetooth setup. I picked up the Clarion external mic along with the head unit. However, I'm getting either too much background noise or not enough sound pickup for my voice. If I set the gain level low enough to get rid of the background noise I have to yell at the mic to be heard.

Any suggestions for a better external mic?

Thanks,
Chris

ETA: Well, I found out that the "Clarion" mic that I bought on Amazon and marked "by Clarion" is actually a cheap knockoff. I have what had better be a real Clarion mic on it's way. I'll install it this week and see if it's better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Resjudicata

Reaction score
The Clarion RCB204 and RCB199 are the 2 mics that work with the NX404.

I got the real Clarion mic in last week and installed. I've used it a few times since and all seems to be working well. I have my mic gain set at the 10 position (out of 15) and the people I've talked to say that this setting doesn't have any background noise but they can still hear my voice loud and clear.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt