lost my keys wtf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hartsemperfi

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 2000 expy and i lost my keys i got it unlocked. My question is there any other way other than a locksmith to get keys or ignition out?

And since i cant find keys should i eventually get it rekeyed?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's better to have the ignition switch replaced so you will have new keys for safety.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have pulled a broken ignition tumbler out of the steering and replaced the entire tumbler assembly. I had a broken tumbler, it snapped in on a very cold (VERY COLD) day when I turned it.

I dont want to tell you that you can - because the 2000 may have more stuff built in, but dont loose hope. I did have to use 2 different keys for the door and tumbler [not that i lock my doors]. In the long run all I had to buy was tumbler. But with the doors needing a key too, you may find the cost of a full re-key is less than a quick fix.

OP
OP
H

hartsemperfi

Reaction score
Update been looking for days and found the keys thank god but i went to a locksmith. He says to cut and program just one key no remote $180 ,a second key $65 and a remote $60. Ouch oh and $100 to come to my house thats less than15 min away.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had only one key for the expy that I bought some time ago had to go and have a second key made and programed I purchased a blank from e-bay and had it cut. then went to the locksmith and had him program the second key. Cost for the locksmith to program one key was less than $55.00 cost to buy a blank and have it cut was less than $10.00

suggest you shop around $180.00 for one key when you have one already is way to much. and also $65.00 for a second key is HI way robbery. And for him to charge you $60.00 for a remote well all I can say is to be careful when you bend over as he will really give it to you.
Once you have two keys you can buy a blank, have it cut and program it yourself.
You can have a total of 8 keys programed 2 originals and 6 spares.
You can also buy remotes on e-bay and program them yourself

If you need the procedures for this send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send them to you

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 97 and 98 expy only require that you have one key in order for you to be able to program extra keys your self The 99 thru 2002 require that you have two keys and then you can program extra keys yourself You just need a locksmith to program one key for you and when he is in the programing process he can clear out any extra keys that may have been previously programed The procedure takes about 30 minutes

You may also want to check with a ford dealer and see what they would charge if you bring a cut key with you

There is a vendor on e-bay that I have purchased keys and remotes for 3 different 1st gen expeditions I will see if I can find his e-bay name and send it to you

OP
OP
H

hartsemperfi

Reaction score
the 97 and 98 expy only require that you have one key in order for you to be able to program extra keys your self The 99 thru 2002 require that you have two keys and then you can program extra keys yourself You just need a locksmith to program one key for you and when he is in the programing process he can clear out any extra keys that may have been previously programed The procedure takes about 30 minutes

You may also want to check with a ford dealer and see what they would charge if you bring a cut key with you

There is a vendor on e-bay that I have purchased keys and remotes for 3 different 1st gen expeditions I will see if I can find his e-bay name and send it to you

Fantastic i havent searched yet but is the programming procedure online?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They may be online but send me your e-mail addy and I will send them to you.
The instructions for programing the remotes is in the owners manual if you don't have a copy you can download them from
owner.ford.com

I wasn't able to find the vendor I purchased my keys and remotes from but you can check on e-bay as there are many vendors that sell them Just make sure you get the correct keys and remotes for your year One vendor had 2 keys and 2 remotes for $20.00 Again find a different locksmith or check at the ford dealer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt