Low idle speed = bad IAC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cj7_lhc

Reaction score
Just want to pass on how I fixed my low idle problem. Our 03 expe is the wifes, she told me last week it would sometimes die or have very low rpm at stop signs or waiting in traffic. I have recently did a TBI swap on to my jeep so I had some idea how how this IAC thing worked. I have also recently purchased the Autotap software for reading the PCM on a laptop. We purchased an extended warranty but the insurance company is in bankruptcy and are not accepting any claims. So guess what? I'm on my own. Plus I drive an 02 Focus. So I looked into it last Thursday after work. It started right up but idled at 400rpm but should be closer to 700ish. . It reved good but almost died and then caught itself. The throttle position on the software showed 16% at idle. So the code was P0506 low idle rpm. After reading the ford forums all indications pointed to the IAC.
The software showed the IAC at .6% while at idle and did not change with the addition of the A/C on or reving the engine. I removed the IAC to clean. It had a pretty good coating of carbon so I hit it with carb cleaner. I reinstalled and the idle was good for several minutes but dropped to 400 again. Tried cleaning it again with same results. I had to get this running again, the wife is not happy. No one in town had one including Las Vegas. So I ordered one on Friday from Autozone (Wells for $70) and came in today, Tuesday. :)
The haynes book said to check each terminal post to the IAC body and should be at least 10K ohm and each post to each other 6-12 ohms. Both tested good. I believe the shaft is scored or jamed with heavy carbon and just won't move. Oh yeah, the plug was reading 11v from the PCM.
I installed the new one and varoom. Good to go. Idle's great. I hooked up the software and went for a ride. The rpm settled at the 700ish, the throttle position changed to 19% but the IAC still only showed 6%. Still surprised the IAC % will only show .5% to 1% even under heavy load or A/C on.

Does anyone have more info on much travel verses % the IAC moves? is 1% = to 100% or something similar?

Hope this helps. Good luck.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't use carburetor cleaner on these..... use throttle body cleaner only. these have teflon parts that the carb cleaner will melt and jam the assembly.
Glad you got it fixed though.

Matt R