2003 5.4 2 valve rough idle, hesitation when stepping into it and low power no codew

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bydptrsb

Reaction score
I have an 03 expy with the 5.4 that has a rough idle, low power (0-30 in 20 seconds) and no codes I replaced the oxygen sensors, MAF sensor and the throttle position sensor. Could this be timing or is it IAC? Is it something else?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How old is the fuel filter ? If you have a fuel pressure test gauge, what kind of fuel pressure are you seeing at the fuel rail schrader valve ?
To release the fuel lines off the filter just push the blue buttons in on the quick connects ....

Motorcraft FG-1063 fuel filter....
FG1063-FRO.jpg

OP
OP
B

bydptrsb

Reaction score
So I have changed the fuel filter earlier this year. I think 3 or 4 months ago and I don't think I have a fuel pressure test gauge but I think I will buy one

Ratz669

Reaction score
Not the exact symptoms but, I had something similar - hesitation when accelerating.
For years, I tired to pinpoint it - changed the fuel filter, map sensor, throttle body, etc. It wound up being a cracked intake manifiold cover. Upon extensive reserach, this apparently is not all that uncommon as Ford uses a plastic cover meaning that it is susceptible to changes in temperature and can crack.

I have a 2005, btw

Last edited:

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No codes? Not even misfire codes? Possibly clogged cat? Check for banana in the tail pipe :).

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When is the last time you changed the spark plugs or coils? Or at least check the coil boots?

Also, I've had a misfire steadily getting worse on my 03. From when I first noticed it, it took over a week of driving to work and around town (probably 70 miles) before it finally set a code for misfire on cylinder 2. Mine wasn't as bad as yours though, I could get still accelerate pretty well.