Low Oil Pressure Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
Got a 2011 Expedtion EL Limited. Put in new cam phasers last year and put in an upgraded oil pump (Melling). Over a year later, oil pressure light comes on at stop light and pressure guage on dash falls. This happened about 2-3 weeks ago during a simple commute then stopped spontaneously. Symptoms just recurred and stopped again (about 2-3 weeks later). Car runs perfectly without a hiccup. Did an oil change 1 week prior ot all of this and oil levels are OK. I realize that the oil pressure sending unit is an idiot switch and they are known to go bad. What are the chances that it is a bad oil pump? What would you all recommend? Should I test the oil pressure with a guage or should I just try to change the sending unit?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have any chunks of plastic on the guides missing? Also could be the O-ring on the pickup tube. Or a bad sender.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you have any chunks of plastic on the guides missing? Also could be the O-ring on the pickup tube. Or a bad sender.

Agree with this. Sounds like something is getting picked up intermittently like a piece of a broken guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jozef Zoldos

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
No broken parts when I did the cam phasers. I put in new OEM guides and tensioners when I did the timing. I did not notice any broken parts with the last oil change.

OP
OP
Jozef Zoldos

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
Oh....When the issue happened, it was only at stoplights at idle and it only occurred for for about a 5-10 minute duration when it happened. i.e... It would work normally until the vehicle stopped at a red light and then the light would go off and the pressure switch would drop. When I pulled away from the light, all of the warnings would go away until the next light. Also, no codes poped up on the scanner when all of this happened.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The oil light comes on at a very low pressure, you really need to put a gauge in it, it's not much harder than replacing the oil switch or even checking it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jozef Zoldos

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can take care of that tomorrow before I drive it again.

OP
OP
Jozef Zoldos

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
Also, I like the specific pressure guage setup that you did. I could not find the thread about that one but I am still looking.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...-pressure-gauge-in-a-5-4-with-pictures.44836/

Since then I have moved it 2" over to the right so I could see it better while driving. I had to cut the plastic mount from the panel out but you don't need it. Get the sandwich with the 1/8" npt holes and not the multi hook-up oil cooler one. Any 5.4 one will fit. Hooking directly to the sender hole would be a tough job and so would just checking the pressure there. This way you will still have your original gauge pressure showing also.