Lower Control Arm Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORDGUY66

Reaction score
I am getting a pretty bad metal on metal squeak coming from the front of my '97 4wd. It started about a year ago so I did the upper control arms but that didn't fix the issue. It is now doing it when I turn. I tried greasing everything and spraying lubricants around the bushings but with no improvement. It only stopped after it had rained and everything was wet but when it dried up it came right back. I am thinking it is the lower control arms. Is there an upgrade out there from the stock lower control arms or does it not really matter what control arms I buy? Any info and input is greatly appreciated.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are no upgrades for lower that I know of. Are the bushings shot? I got a used one from a yard after I broke 1 getting the torsion bar out .
I think they make replacement bushings, but it might be only for uppers.

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 97 4x4 as well and have also replaced the upper control arms last year because of the upper ball joints being shot. I now have the squeak you describe and did just as you did....used a whole can of wd40 on everything and it's still there. After reading a lot online I'm pretty certain its the lower ball joints making the sound. I bought NEW control arms off Ebay and I think I paid $160 for the pair. I watched a buddy struggle to replace just a ball joint in his truck....using a torch, sledge hammer. I thought why not just replace the whole control arm so that's my plan this week. I will update with any news or start a new thread.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can understand why someone would have problems and struggle replacing a lower ball joint using those tools.
When I changed my lower ball joints I borrowed the proper tools from advanced auto (had to leave a deposit which is refunded upon return) and replaced both sides without a problem

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh forgot to add that he did use the ball joint tool from auto zone but the ball joint refused to budge, hence the use for heat and a hammer.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I broke the tool getting out my lower ball joint, sometimes the rust is crazy??!?
I had to heat the :flamingdevil: out of it, then with a new tool and a lot of work the lower popped out. The other side came out no heat just the tool???

OP
OP
F

FORDGUY66

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. My bushings look ok but it could be a possibility. What's your input on poly bushings?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait I thought you just said your bushings look ok? Do the ball joint test of wiggling the tire back and forth with hands 12 and 6. Any play and that lower ball joint has to go.

I can pretty much hear that sound in my head and I can promise it's gonna be that lower ball joint. I have 3 squeak free expy's in the family to prove it.

OP
OP
F

FORDGUY66

Reaction score
The bushings do look ok but if I am replacing the lower control arms and have everything apart, is it worth upgrading to poly bushings?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when do u hear the noise? turning...swaying of the truck...on turns...for me it was BOTH the lower and upper ball joints...i didnt hear it until i upgraded my anti-sway bars...thought it was the links...changed them and when i notice my ball joints where bad it all stopped when i changed both upper/lower

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50