Lowering 03...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darita

Reaction score
I've been trying to get some info on lowering my 03, with coils front and rear. I'm being told there are control arm issues in the rear, that make it very costly to lower it properly. Just changing springs doesn't seem to cut it. Any info from you all would really help. The info came from DJM. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
D

darita

Reaction score
wittom, here's what I heard. After speaking with Belltech, Eibach and a couple of custom shops, lowering the Expi is fine as long as you stick with a max of 2" of drop. Both Eibach and Belltech say they have experienced no problems there. In fact, they say that there's no real reason to use their alignment kit. The only one's that say there's big problem even at that amount of drop, is DJM. They are the ones that told me about the control arm issue. All three custom shops that I spoke with said they would not trust DJM for anything, including suspension info. Eibach seems to be the kit of choice, but I'm sure Belltech is every bit as good. I'm going to try it, since my 24" Moz wheels don't quite fill up the wells like I'd hoped.

wittom

Reaction score
Thanks darita.

I'm looking to lower for better handeling. My previous vehicle was an '04 Lightning which turns out is very impracticle for me. That thing stuck to the road like a suction cup.

The Expy doesn't have near the power of the Lightning but it's actually pretty good for the size vehicle it is. I haven't been able to get used to the "floaty" feel in the ride. Not to mention I feel the need to turn some wrenches and other than this , and tuning, the Expy is going to remain stock. I think that lowering would make this a much better vehicle to drive.

I've seen several different kits on the web but it seems like the retail sites aren't sure what years they for. Do you have a part number for the Belltech kit?

Got any pics of your ride? I might be convinced to do wheels at some point.

OP
OP
D

darita

Reaction score
witom, email me for pics. I'm not sure how to post pics here. I think I have Ph. #s for Belltech and Eibach. Due to our situations, it would be best to call tech support for both, for specific info. My Expi is not lowered yet, but will be soon as I can come up with the $. The rims and tires made a huge difference in look, but not a huge diff in ride. Others said that the ride would be really bumpy with 22's and rediculous with 24's. I went for the 24's and have not been turned off by the ride. Still rides better than my girlfriend's Exterra. 22's just didn't fill out the wheel well like I'd hoped.

wittom

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

On the pics... I guess I'm used to F150 Online. They have users galleries to host pics in. You can't cross link them though.

Do you have pics anywhere? What I did here was copy the url from my F150 Online gallery.
Toms' F150 Online gallery If you have pics hosted on another site you might be able to post an address. If not Ill pass on my email address. I just think it would be cool to have others be able to see your ride as well.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To attach a picture you have to click "Post Reply" and not just do the quick reply at the bottom of the post. Then, in the Post Reply screen, there will be a browse button right below where you type your message. Click the browse button and select your picture.

OP
OP
D

darita

Reaction score
OK. Second try. "03 with Moz, Tower wheels, 24", not lowered yet.

Attachments

• expi moz 1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 268

wittom

Reaction score
Nice ride!

I see why you want to lower. I think it'll look cool.

I think I've seen thoes wheels on Tire Rack. I was thinking 20s for my ride. The 24s do look nice though.

OP
OP
D

darita

Reaction score
I thought about 20s, but then I decided on 22s and had them installed. Once on, I realized that I wanted wheels that would fill out the wheel well an lot more, so I took the 22s off and went for the 24s. Some people told me to stay away from 24s because of the terrible ride. Actually, the ride is just fine with 22s and 24s...no difference between the two. Now, all I have to do is get rid of the 22s.