Lowering a 2011 2WD XLT with HDTT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walt460

Reaction score
I just bought a one-owner 2011 2WD XLT Premium. I bought it because I want to use it for towing my open car trailer. It has the HDTT package. I just drove it from Dallas, TX where I bought it, to Southern Nevada where I live. We got 17.2mpg driving 70-75mph.

My only issue is that it is so far off the ground. I would like to lower it and eliminate the running boards. I started searching for a lowering kit, but I can not find one for a 2011, and I am also concerned that any change to the rear springs might compromise the towing capacity.

Anyone have experience with lowering a 2011?

Thanks,

Walt

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strutmaster and coil spring specialties llc can make custom springs to lower and the same or increase the weight they can hold

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
W

Walt460

Reaction score
Strutmaster and coil spring specialties llc can make custom springs to lower and the same or increase the weight they can hold

10K-Watts,

thanks for the suggested contacts, good to know as I had not found either of these sources during my search.

We have a local Chassis shop here that does a lot of "lifts" on trucks and Jeeps. They have lowered older model Expeditions using available kits, so that is the first place I went to get my 2011 Lowered. He advised that just changing the springs is "ok" for a drop of about 1-1.5", but for drops over that we will need suspension pieces designed to keep the alignment and ride quality, as was done with Gen 1 and Gen 2 lowering kits. I guess I am shocked that no supplier had done a kit for the Gen 3 trucks. Maybe they did not sell many of the prior Gen kits.

Walt

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expedition lost a lot of love with lowering...ppl aren't buying them and lowering them like the 1st gens...

Mr. 10K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1