Lug Nut Size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Rustang

Reaction score
I had tires installed on my 2017 Expy today and I like to verify the wheel studs are properly torqued. I know for a fact these guys did not use a torque wrench because I saw the installation happen. However, when I tried to take care of this step myself, I don’t have the right size socket! I have 20” wheels, and the 19mm socket will not fit the lug nuts on those wheels. The Imperial sockets are either too loose or don’t fit at all, so I am back to thinking it must be metric and 20mm. Does anybody know for sure what size? Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had tires installed on my 2017 Expy today and I like to verify the wheel studs are properly torqued. I know for a fact these guys did not use a torque wrench because I saw the installation happen. However, when I tried to take care of this step myself, I don’t have the right size socket! I have 20” wheels, and the 19mm socket will not fit the lug nuts on those wheels. The Imperial sockets are either too loose or don’t fit at all, so I am back to thinking it must be metric and 20mm. Does anybody know for sure what size? Thanks!

Does the factory supplied lug-wrench fit? I know you want to check the size of the lug nuts and torque them, but the lug nuts may be swollen and need replacing.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 with the factory 20-inch wheels and tires, and most of the lugs nuts had to be replaced as they began to swell and the factory lug nut wrench would not fit. I live in the snow belt.

EDIT: I checked the size of the socket that fits my factory lug nuts and it is 13/16”. Several are beginning to swell again and will need replacing. I think the road salt accelerates the swelling, but I also think any water can cause the caps to swell on the lug nuts, as corrosion begins under the cap. Very poor quality for factory components that may have to be removed with the factory lug wrench (I also carry a telescoping Gorilla-brand lug wrench and sockets).

Last edited:
OP
OP
69Rustang

69Rustang

Reaction score
Hmm, ’Yikes!’ Is my first thought to your response. But I guess I had better check. I was expecting my existing sockets to fit as I have never had one I didn’t have a socket for. I will start with the factory lug wrench! Thanks

Airfix

Reaction score
My lug nuts were all swollen on my 2016. I went to do some work on the parking brake when I first got it and found I couldn't remove the wheel lug nuts with the supplied wrench or any of my tools. I went out immediately and bought new chrome plated steel lug nuts (not the swollen 2 piece design ford gives you). I took my car to a tire shop and had the replace all the lug nuts. Now I can take my wheels off myself.

It is a shockingly bad design from ford and everybody has this problem.

Airfix

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that's one of the first upgrades most Gen3 owners do ?

One Piece Chrome Lug Nuts Set of 24 24 x 1.5 on Amazon

You can really help your chrome lug nuts by not using an impact air wrench on them. Impacts chip the chrome and eventually you'll see rust form.
Just use a good torque wrench and torque 'em to specs. ( 140 ft lbs )

Last edited:
OP
OP
69Rustang

69Rustang

Reaction score
Airfix,
Where did you source the Chrome Lug Nuts? I was thinking the same as you—why replace the current factory nuts with the same crap from Ford? I was also wondering—is it not swelling and instead deformation from the guys using impact wrenches on the nuts? Our Expy has never seen salted roads—of course there is some salt in the coastal air, but its pretty dry overall at my place.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
90%+- of Ford lug nuts are 13/16" or 21mm. All those tire shops use air impact wrenches and most don't use a torque wrench because it is set by regulating the line pressure. Use the 21mm socket if needed but I wouldn't worry about the nuts being tight. I know some will squawk but I have changed wheels quite a bit in the last 60 years (mostly on my vehicles), never torqued them, and never had a nut get loose or any other problem. I also change my wheels twice a year and grease the lugs so the nuts are never frozen in a dark alley in the bad side of town, in January, in a big downpour, in the middle of the night, and the wife is yelling at me to hurry.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that many of the solid aftermarket lug nuts are simply pot-metal junk or stuff that rusts in weeks in certain environments. I've had some whose threads pulled right out of them when tightened. Most here know I feel Chinese aftermarket parts are of quite questionable quality. Unfortunately, the OEM lug nut design has a short lifespan in rusty environments.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running solid gorilla nuts on mine with no issues. Agree with Train, beware of cheap Chinese junk.