Lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bundy34

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Expedition that I am trying to put an old set of American Racing Atlas wheels on. The person I bought them from gave me his lugnuts, but they were the 14mm nuts, whereas my Expedition has the 12mm x 1.75 studs.

The holes in the rim for the lugnuts are narrow and can only fit a 19mm or 5/8 socket into to tighten the nuts and I am having difficulty finding suitable lugnuts that will work. I need them to be approx. 1 3/4 - 2" long.

Does anyone please have any leads on where I could find lugnuts for this that will be narrow enough to work?

If not, is it possible to upgrade my 12mm studs to 14mm? If so, what is all involved.

Thanks.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
bundy, upgrading to 14MM studs is going to be an expensive proposition as you have to buy 2 new front hubs and 2 new rear axles unless you want to pull all this stuff off and take it to a machine shop to have them bore the holes out for you.

As for lugnuts, not sure what to tell you with that.

OP
OP
B

bundy34

Reaction score
I was hoping it was just a pop the old stud out and put a bigger one in kind of thing. So I won't be going that route.

The lug nuts on discount tire, which ones do i need, what are they called?

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just 12mm x 1.75 acorn nuts with 3/4" hex heads. The sales person should be able to take care of you.

OP
OP
B

bundy34

Reaction score
The problem i was having was that a 3/4" hex was to big.

I unfortunately already made the Advance and Autozone circuit, as well as some custom wheel shops, who only had 1 lug nut to sell me. Pep Boys had some but the of course theywere to wide as well.

I found some spline nuts for narrow holes at Summit so hopefully they will work.

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm surprised that a 3/4 is to big. My American racing nittros had plenty of room for that size nut. You may have to get tuner nuts with a key. Discount tire should have those also.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will need a thin wall socket to fit the19mm[ 3/4"] nuts with your rim. try a 12 pt 3/8 drive socket.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition