MagnaFlow vs. Flowmaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hamburglar79

Reaction score
Whats the big difference between the two?

I see alot of people running both so what is their hype?

I am debating the following outcomes:

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the Magnaflow for the sound and no droan. I have run Magnaflows on my Mustang, Capri, Thunderbird, Dakota and F-150. The Mustang and Capri used to have Flowmasters and I hated the sound. Too loud all the time and the damn DROAN!!!!!

Magnaflow has a nice sound to it. Gives you a big block sound at idle and cruise, but put the foot to the wood and it sounds awesome.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It really is personal preferance. The Flowmasters are famouse for there "DRONE" but that is why I went with the Flowmaster 70 series big block muffler since it is made for SUV's and there is bearly any Drone at all ( neither my wife or daughter have said anything and I have asked them about it :D )

The best thing to do is get on You Tube and try to find videos of your vehicle with different mufflers and different series mufflers to see what YOU like best. But remember there are some that will turn the inside of the expy in to a dam echo chamber.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whatever da droan is...i like it...im running flowmaster...though about glass packs with it...but that would be too much

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Magna flow

I went with a magnaflow muffler. My decision was based on allowing the engine to have less exhaust restriction without the drone in the cab. Flow masters are known for the drone. My Mustang with dual 40's is the sound that drives me nuts after an hour. I gave it to my son who loves it.
The magnaflow lets you know its not quite stock at idle. Hit the throttle and
you get the sound of power without the drone.:D

Last edited:

slo-ryd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The flowmaster is a chambered muffler and will drone all the time to some extent. The Magnaflow has a straight through design and will only drone under heavy load and not so much cruising. Rear seat passengers will appreciate the Magnaflow more :D
I managed an exhaust shop for a few years and we took a lot of newly installed flows off of suv's because of the drone issue.

OP
OP
H

hamburglar79

Reaction score
I went on youtube in search for this "drone" sound, but you cannot get the same sound/feeling of it.

From what I am guessing it is an uncomfortable sound right? Possible throbbing?

etrailer

Reaction score
I went on youtube in search for this "drone" sound, but you cannot get the same sound/feeling of it.

From what I am guessing it is an uncomfortable sound right? Possible throbbing?

At a certain RPM range, usually a comfortable cruising speed for highway travel, the exhaust system will hit a certain frequency and will be quite loud.

Think Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber. It's just a loud, constant, steady exhaust note that some find particularly annoying.