Major electrical issues, short?ecu?wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black97xlt

Reaction score
The gauge lights for 4x4, airbag, and the washer fluid level would blink fast for long periods at a time, then something under the dash slightly to the right of the steering wheel was making some kind of weird clicking and such, and now the radio will not shut off. It has done this since yesterday, my wife took it out and drove through a puddle of water(from the massive amount of rain we got) and from that point the gauge indicator light started flashing and everything else has just popped up here and there since. Can someone please help me out with this?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing I would check is the GEM. How much water and how deep did it go when she drove through the puddle? Are we talking monster mudder type of puddles?

OP
OP
black97xlt

black97xlt

Reaction score
Not sure, she just said a good size puddle. and then it started. where is the gem?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
General Electronics Module, there are a few threads on here about the problems that occur when it gets wet. It is located behind the fuse block under the dash.

OP
OP
black97xlt

black97xlt

Reaction score
How did it get wet from inside when she went through the puddle? I can't find anything about the gem in the haynes manual.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May not have been the puddle, more like the "massive amount of rain". There are plenty of threads on this site about the GEM. Usually when the windshield leaks it floods the GEM and you have crazy stuff happening.

Use the advanced search to search title "What does the GEM control" or "GEM control". Also read the sticky on the 1st gen about the windshield leak.

Last edited: