Mechanical Load-leveling rear suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwells

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Expy EL Platinum w/20" wheels, self leveling rear suspension, hd tow pkg. I tow a 7200# trailer with wd Reese hitch.

Setting up the wd hitch was a real pain because you cannot turn off the self-levelling feature as recommended by the manufacture. Ford procedure is not practical because it tells you to drive the hitched unit without the wd connected which would exceed the weight limit of the receiver hitch.

I am not saying that proper adjustment cannot be done, but it is a process because the self-levelling mechanical system seems to work against the wd hitch by unloading it, allowing the front end to lift.

I got mine to zero in, but it took a while.

If you get the adjustable suspension, you can turn it off for the initial adjustment.

Best of luck.

KonaBean

Reaction score
We have a 2015 Exp EL Platinum w/20" wheels, self leveling rear suspension, hd tow pkg. We just got a 4132 lb TT which we figure is between 4500-5000 loaded. We are having trouble getting our 1000 lb WDH adjusted properly. Right now it is riding slightly down from level and with 6 free links (we think there should be 5 - it's really difficult to lift up the bars) and our front/steer, rear/drive, and trailer axles are 3500, 4360, 4420 respectively for a total GW of 12280. The GAWR for the TV front and rear axles are 3700 and 4300. We feel the front/steer is a little floaty and we are experiencing some porpoising. We think we need more weight on the front/steer axle and need to get the rear/drive axle at or under 4300. We are considering raising the ball up one hole given the slight downward angle of the TT. Would adding washers to the ball be the next thing to try to get more weight on the front/steer axle? We feel less than confident in the dealer's advice or recommendations since they had the shank set up in the rise position, in the top hole, and we are now one hole from the bottom in the drop position, 6 1/4" lower than the dealer had set it.
We'd appreciate any advice from you who have been through this... going to give it another shot this weekend.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The self leveling suspension stumped me on mine. I followed the manual and hooked up the trailer with no spring bars. Drove it around for a few miles so the self leveling shocks could do their thing. Came back unhooked and setup the ball based off that. From my understanding after that you shouldn't have to readjust anything.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 17938 On my new 2016 Limited, when you get the 22inch rims you get adjustable suspension. Not self leveling, but three driver selectable modes - comfort, normal and sport. I leave mine in "sport mode". I tow a 6000 lb boat ( no WD hitch) and there is no rear-end sag.

That's a sharp looking boat. Who is the manufacturer? I have a 21' Ebbtide Cuddy, which I believe is about the same size as yours. I tow it with an 03 Expy EB 5.4. No sag in the rear and no sway at all.
I recently bought a used 13 Navigator but haven't towed with it yet. I was going to sell the 03 but it's in great shape and does the heavy lifting. I'm going to keep them both for now. Happy Boating.

KonaBean

Reaction score
The self leveling suspension stumped me on mine. I followed the manual and hooked up the trailer with no spring bars. Drove it around for a few miles so the self leveling shocks could do their thing. Came back unhooked and setup the ball based off that. From my understanding after that you shouldn't have to readjust anything.
Thanks so much for your clear and simple explanation of the sequence of events! That's what we will do.

Jon Pearson

Reaction score
How do I determine if my Expedition even has auto leveling? I haven't yet towed with it but plan to this month with a 30 foot TT. It's a 2015 Expedition EL XLT with package 202A.

KonaBean

Reaction score
How do I determine if my Expedition even has auto leveling? I haven't yet towed with it but plan to this month with a 30 foot TT. It's a 2015 Expedition EL XLT with package 202A.
Package 202A means you MAY have it. Without 202A you CAN'T have it. Did you buy it new? If so your sticker should say something like "Rear Load Leveling Suspension" and I think it is a good thing but there is not a lot of knowledge/experience out there. Which surprises me a little because if you google "Nivomat" you can see it's used by Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc, it's not THAT unusual.

Jon Pearson

Reaction score
Package 202A means you MAY have it. Without 202A you CAN'T have it. Did you buy it new? If so your sticker should say something like "Rear Load Leveling Suspension" and I think it is a good thing but there is not a lot of knowledge/experience out there. Which surprises me a little because if you google "Nivomat" you can see it's used by Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc, it's not THAT unusual.

I did not buy it new. I was able to determine it had 202a when I purchased it because I wanted that package. I know load leveling was an option with that package but can't figure out how to tell if it's installed.

KonaBean

Reaction score
I did not buy it new. I was able to determine it had 202a when I purchased it because I wanted that package. I know load leveling was an option with that package but can't figure out how to tell if it's installed.
Drive it for a couple miles, measure to the top of the wheel opening at the rear wheel-well. Put a load in the back end (100-200 lbs), drive it for a couple miles and measure again. If you have load-leveling your 2nd number should be very close, if not identical, to your first.
I say drive it for a couple miles first because if your vehicle sits for a while, the shocks will bleed down. So if your vehicle has been sitting, that's not a good measurement to use.
And it makes the WDH adjustment more difficult because every time you make an adjustment to the WDH, the load-leveling wants to correct it.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a sharp looking boat. Who is the manufacturer? I have a 21' Ebbtide Cuddy, which I believe is about the same size as yours. I tow it with an 03 Expy EB 5.4. No sag in the rear and no sway at all.
I recently bought a used 13 Navigator but haven't towed with it yet. I was going to sell the 03 but it's in great shape and does the heavy lifting. I'm going to keep them both for now. Happy Boating.

The boat is a Chaparral 220SSi, with a 350MAG/MPI Bravo3. I towed it with my 03 EB, which towed it fine, but the new Expy tows like the boat is not there. I really love me the EcoBoost.
brick