Melted air intake at throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread about this so figure I would post. Anyone ever have this happen?? Admittedly, the Expy had been make a noise or two and i didn't find anything earlier.. it looks like it got VERY hot right in front of the throttle body...... ideas why???? Will post pics as soon as I figure out how...

thanks guys

OP
OP
RedExpy

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4.6L literally right in front of the aluminum intake hole, where it attaches with a clamp... trying to post pictures...

OP
OP
RedExpy

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pics of melted spot... interesting

lets see if they transferred... intake 1.jpg

intake 2.jpg

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bet you had something with the EGR get funky. Like the EGR valve stuck open or something. It is supposed to recirculate exhaust gasses for emissions purposes. However exhaust gasses are hot, so it would make sense that if something were to stick open, it could easily melt the plastic. That is just my guess, and could totally be off. I will say I haven't seen that one pop on the site before.

It also could have been some type of electrical issue. Any CEL before the incident?

I will have to go and look at where the EGR enters the intake on my truck tomorrow. Different motor but should be a similar location. I think the EGR is the piece on the right side of the melted part in your picture. If you want to know for sure, it is the metal tube that comes off of one of the manifolds. I want to say it is the driver, but I could be wrong. It goes straight up from the manifold to the top of the motor though, so it is hard to miss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedExpy

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think that I found it.... it appears that the alternator overheated and began to melt something (aka EVERYTHING).. the wires at the the back of that alt (re-manufactured) are toasted... that blows our trip outta the water... :(

so.... the alt is an easy fix... some of the wires.. :/.....not so sure about that...

cars.... next to flies or gnats.. the bane of our existence. Nice rig btw... like the wheels/tire combo.....

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
That's scary!! Looks like you had the beginnings of an engine fire with everything in the photo that's burned.

Lucky there was either not enough O2 or fuel (oil, etc...) to sustain it.

That's a good argument for keeping your engine clean.

Last edited:

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Here my thoughts, Tom is on the right track with the alternator...Ford has a problem with the two wire or three wire plug on the top of the alternator...it get corrosion in the plug and on the connections and then one wire will short out and the other wire has to take all the load...the end result is a small fire if caught in time.... which looks like what happened to you....I had bought a F-150 for $500.00 that had this happen but that fire got a little hotter. I went to the junk yard and found a donor vehicle and start gettin parts. Alternator, wire harness, look at the wire to make sure no discoloration or corrosion, I have pasted a link below if you want to get a brand new 240 amp alternator for 165.00 I have bought a couple from this guy for different vehicle and just bought one for my Expy....you have a pretty easy fix if you are mechanically inclined...just check all your wires..when you go to the junk yard and you find a donor vehicle....take pictures before you take it apart and as you remove parts....this will help putting yours back together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13093183749...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep your Alt did some damage, just make sure you check every wire around the area so it don't do again.

Shouldn't take long to fix though just a few hours, and a junk yard for donor parts.

Good time to do a CAI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1