Metering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrismdean09

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are people metering at as far as db and hrz. I hit a 148.7 with two 15s on music peaking at 38hrz. Just curious what all you other sound enthusiast are hiting

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im in the 130-140 range with 3 10w3's according to the decible meter app on my droid, but I dont know how accurate that thing is. I'm pretty sure I could turn the gains up and get a bit more, but I would rather keep the sound quality up instead. ;)

OP
OP
C

Chrismdean09

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get measure by some audio shops or people who have a term lab at comps. Ridnclean and his buddy have a term lab out in seattle area and thats how i got tested when i was out that way...... And who says it doesnt sound good at those levels because it sounds dam good at that level with no distortion.

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And who says it doesnt sound good at those levels because it sounds dam good at that level with no distortion.

I was just talking about mine. Im pretty sure mine would start to distort at higher levels, just not really willing to find out cause I would rather buy a lift then have to replace subs. lol

OP
OP
C

Chrismdean09

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that it also depends on the box you have as well mine is tuned to 32hrz peaks at 38 and lets the subs breath and cool at little better. Im thinking 4 15s should put me over a 150 but idk yet we will see come next fall.

MPTonyT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that it also depends on the box you have as well mine is tuned to 32hrz peaks at 38 and lets the subs breath and cool at little better. Im thinking 4 15s should put me over a 150 but idk yet we will see come next fall.

Double the power.... Double the cone size... Gain +3db.

Are you saying that them being tuned at 32hz helps cool the subs better? What woofers are you running? What is the internal volume of your enclosure and what is the port size and thickness of the wood? Also what amp are you running to these woofers?

OP
OP
C

Chrismdean09

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I'm not saying 32hrz lets them cool better. I am running 2 15" alpine type R's at 2500 watts RMS on a sundown saz 3500d. How do you know the internal volume of the enclosure. YOU measure from the dash/ front of the car. My port lenght if i remember correctly is 28 inches I dont remember the exact cubic ft it is but i could measure. I am also running 3/4mdf with 3 pieces of all thread to support it.

Still curious why internal volume matters. I measure out put according to meca rules.

http://www.mecacaraudio.com/2011rulebook/2011 SPL General Rules p9.pdf

Double the power.... Double the cone size... Gain +3db.

Are you saying that them being tuned at 32hz helps cool the subs better? What woofers are you running? What is the internal volume of your enclosure and what is the port size and thickness of the wood? Also what amp are you running to these woofers?

MPTonyT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was curious of the enclosures internal volume. How many cubic feet is the enclosure.

I guess I'm still not understanding your comment about it being tuned to 32 hz and peaking around 38hz so that is helps them breath and cool better.

Did you figure out that is peaks at 38hz on the meter or via a graph on a computer for what the speaker/box combo should do?

Also be care full with 2500 watts on those type R's (that is if your supplying the amp with a 1ohm load to get the max out of the amp).

OP
OP
C

Chrismdean09

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fact that the box isnt sealed allows it to breath better nothing to with the tuning. the port also allow heat to leave the box. Yes its 1ohm load and yes i know to be careful This is my 4th set up using type r's the are extremely under rated. I ran 12 at 1000 watts for a very long time that sub is still functioning great and is in my sisters 92 accord station wagon. The set up was designed by my sisters fiance. He said the box was tuned to 32hrz. however it metered at 38hrz