Modified Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bugzuki

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to doing something with my intake. I had read about the Gotts mod and have seen some intake systems out there.

I happened to have some polished aluminum pipe with a 90 degree bend so I decided to just go for it.

So here is what I did:

Intake1.jpg

Intake2.jpg

The pipe is about 2 and 7/8 inch inside diameter. This is larger than the throttle body, but smaller than the MAF.

I removed the rubber tube completely and trimmed the filter box/cone. I retained enough to clamp the filter and make use of the stock mounting.

Now, it shows the MAF - which I think looks cool. The pipe is nice and polished and I got rid of the inlet restriction. I just need a nicer looking filter.

Right now - during the winter - it feels like the beast runs much better, and sounds better. We will see how it does next summer. It doesn't get too hot in Washington, so I should be ok. I might work on a new filter box though.

Let me know what you think.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good! I think you could get a K&N and trim the box a little closer to the retaining band an it would look even better!

Great tinkering!

Scottandtyson210

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good, I was thinknig about cutting my box up like that, I like the look, i think i have a project for this weekend.

callee11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good.... thats how I cut my box... I have a k&n on it and it looks decent.... But I dont have the fancy piping lol so im sure it will look ten times better on yours

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks good, but it seems to me it would just suck in hot engine air, defeating the purpose of a cold air intake. allot of k&N ones have that problem too. I'm looking int the volant one, its enclosed and uses the stock fender intake hole

Attachments

• volant.jpg
    volant.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 227

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Here are a couple of detailed pictures I did when I did the Gotts mod...there is a double wall in the fender and there is no air flow from between gap 1&2 and you have to make sure you stop the air coming in from the front of the truck or it kinda passes right by...so I took the Gotts mod a little further in order to direct the air into the intake and stock filter...I do have a K&N filter. I also added front bumper vents and did some direct air flow mounting.

Attachments

• DSC03597.jpg
    DSC03597.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC03599.jpg
    DSC03599.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC03602.jpg
    DSC03602.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC03605.jpg
    DSC03605.jpg