Moving on....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bocabimmer

Reaction score
I rented a Sienna for a 10 day trip up the coast in California last year and it was fantastic. 36mpg stuck in LA traffic or going 75 on the 101. You're not going to win any drag races in it but the power is adequate. It was enough for maintaining 70mph up a steep hill that went on for about 4 miles on the 101 just north of San Luis Obispo.

The downside is the price, new or used. A 2 year old example with 40K miles is only a couple thousand less than a new one.
The slowness of the Sienna would bother me. That’s why we had an Odyssey. But like the Expedition, they had issues with transmissions among other things. For me it was out of the frying pan and into the fire trading the Odyssey for the Expedition.

The good thing about the price is even if the cost to enter is high, you get it back when you sell. Better that than watching the value of your car drop like a rock.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish there were good answers to finding good vehicles. Seems like they are all the same.
My FIL's highlander has been in the shop more than any vehicle I have seen and the dealer seems incapable of fixing the real problem.
A coworker is on his 3rd new suburban. He jumped on the new duramax first and that was a catastrophic mistake. Then some other major issues with the gas engine on number two, so third times the charm right!
It just seems like none of the manufacturers really care anymore but price them like they do.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish there were good answers to finding good vehicles. Seems like they are all the same.
My FIL's highlander has been in the shop more than any vehicle I have seen and the dealer seems incapable of fixing the real problem.
A coworker is on his 3rd new suburban. He jumped on the new duramax first and that was a catastrophic mistake. Then some other major issues with the gas engine on number two, so third times the charm right!
It just seems like none of the manufacturers really care anymore but price them like they do.

Would you please let me know what is the problem on the new (LZ0, I assume?) duramax engine of the suburban?

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s why we had an Odyssey. But like the Expedition, they had issues with transmissions among other things. For me it was out of the frying pan and into the fire trading the Odyssey for the Expedition.
I had two Odysseys prior to the Expedition: a 2002 and a 2008. When the 3rd gen came out, Honda had pretty much fixed the transmission issues. I think it went to a 4-shaft something or other and improved the cooling. The transmission on my 2nd gen did experience a failure and required a rebuild, but I had expected that after all the press about failures. The Odyssey was pretty awesome IHMO. It was spacious, deceptively quick, and handled well for what it was. Both went over 200K, the 2008 with few repairs. The main reason we got the Expedition was because we needed to tow.

The slowness with Toyota must be a brand thing. We had a Highlander as a loaner while my wife's I-Pace was in the shop, and the Highlander was ridiculously slow, bordering on dangerous. And that was only with two people in the car. I couldn't conceive of filling that vehicle to capacity and driving it. The Corolla I was given as a rental wasn't much better.

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would you please let me know what is the problem on the new (LZ0, I assume?) duramax engine of the suburban?
I honestly don't know exactly, I am also not much of a chevy guy. I believe it was more of an issue in the first ones out, this guy at work got one of the first ones and around the year mark he said the engine was done and GM took it back and gave him a new gas one since they couldn't fix it (again, I don't know the details). Then, when I bought my expedition it was used and I bought it from a GM dealership and I was talking about the new suburban with the finance guy and he mentioned there were major issues with the early suburban diesels. I honestly haven't looked into/cared much. Its more of a joke between us, we totalled our first expedition and we are on our second. He is now on his 3rd suburban in the sameish time frame. So, obviously, this is not a comprehensive study proving anything but it is what it is and proves ford isn't the only one with issues.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly don't know exactly, I am also not much of a chevy guy. I believe it was more of an issue in the first ones out, this guy at work got one of the first ones and around the year mark he said the engine was done and GM took it back and gave him a new gas one since they couldn't fix it (again, I don't know the details). Then, when I bought my expedition it was used and I bought it from a GM dealership and I was talking about the new suburban with the finance guy and he mentioned there were major issues with the early suburban diesels. I honestly haven't looked into/cared much. Its more of a joke between us, we totalled our first expedition and we are on our second. He is now on his 3rd suburban in the sameish time frame. So, obviously, this is not a comprehensive study proving anything but it is what it is and proves ford isn't the only one with issues.
Thank you very much for providing all these details! It seems to me LZ0 does have common major issues in GM's first batch. Most likely the issues are related to turbor actuator and engine head, which cause misfires.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you very much for providing all these details! It seems to me LZ0 does have common major issues in GM's first batch. Most likely the issues are related to turbor actuator and engine head, which cause misfires.
This is why I wait years for all the kinks to get worked out. Paying for a new vehicle and having it go to the shop would detract from my ownership experience substantially.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is why I wait years for all the kinks to get worked out. Paying for a new vehicle and having it go to the shop would detract from my ownership experience substantially.
all the kinks? you mean like the non-2018-2020 models having the frozen liftgate issues, the additional issues we're seeing on lots of these? It's just all of these brands right now, they have crappy suppliers, crappy parts, crappy service, etc. Just look at how many issues people are having in the '22/'23 and even some '24's on here, and here we are talking about the Gen5's, what issues will carry over, how many new issues will be created.

I would almost argue other than the phasers, we've seen quite a few new issues pop up post-covid.

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also believe that if we had all the numbers, the percentage of issues probably isn't as high as the forum makes it out to be. All I am saying is I think there are issues with all the brands and moving to something else is probably just moving to different problems. Heck, my 2007 jeep has 230k+ miles and has been relatively trouble free yet those jeeps don't have great consumer reports ratings.

I do wish manufactures would step up and do better though, there is a TON of room for improvement and it is really frustrating to see that even the "premium" brands have poor manufacturer backing.

How much is our fault though? We keep buying the latest and greatest "overpriced" cars and accepting the fact the service and quality is not there. We are just showing them its okay, so they keep doing it.

Deep8174

Reaction score
I also believe that if we had all the numbers, the percentage of issues probably isn't as high as the forum makes it out to be. All I am saying is I think there are issues with all the brands and moving to something else is probably just moving to different problems. Heck, my 2007 jeep has 230k+ miles and has been relatively trouble free yet those jeeps don't have great consumer reports ratings.

I do wish manufactures would step up and do better though, there is a TON of room for improvement and it is really frustrating to see that even the "premium" brands have poor manufacturer backing.

How much is our fault though? We keep buying the latest and greatest "overpriced" cars and accepting the fact the service and quality is not there. We are just showing them its okay, so they keep doing it.
True. However, if your vehicle never breaks why would you want/need to buy a new one? Lol