Mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try using the cruise control believe or not it your vehicle get its best mpg when you use it because the throttle is a constant position

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me it depends on how hot the day is. All I have done to my 5.4L is the CAI and wrapped it to keep temps down and the Flowmaster which when I put that on I eliminated the factory Y and run a 2I/1O Flowmaster. Most summer days on the interstate @ 75mph I get 15 but on a day like today where we had pretty mild temps ( 85F ) I was getting 17.6 @ 75mph. Also if I am not in a hurry and feel like ******* people off and run 65 in a 75 it jumps from 17.6 up to 20.3 ( only on cool days - come on winter :D ). I am looking forward to getting a programer so hopefully those numbers will climb a little higher.

One thing I noticed as well, and only applies to 1st gen.

If you are not using your 3rd row take it out, that seat is pretty heavy and you gain a little by getting rid of dead weight. Plus it gives you more room for subs :D

walkin' trails

Reaction score
I've got an 03 XLT 4x4 5.4. I've never got better than 18 on the highway and that was with a Gibson cat-back, a K&N filter (stock air intake), and Royal Purple oil. My guess is that with something closer to a 3-1 gear ratio, the igniton system firing to specifications, better air flow, and removal of the cats, it would get better.

OP
OP
C

cbiii

Reaction score
yeah, my cruise control doesn't work but i go to school and work all within 8 mi of my home so I dont have a chance to USE cruise. I plan on taking my 3rd row out tonight as well as finishing up my Gotts mod (it took FOREVER with my pos dremels so i gave up). I was just checking to make sure that theres not more problems with the truck

03blkstanggt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the way my truck sits right now im getting 14.7 mpg

before i changed the tires i was getting 15.5 at best and that was from maryland down route 95 to florida, doing 75-80 the whole ride

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i know if you cut out weight you get better mileage. i like to keep my 3rd row out but my sub sounds better with it back that far. sounds almost like a port. but the gotts mod increased my mileage by 1 mpg. worth it? hells yeah. now im at a tad over 11. i want to say 11.2 at most on the freeway. i need to add air to my tires see if that helps any. cause with 38 lbs im wearing on the outside.

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i knew you were a hater...call whatever you want...doesnt matter...

i'm not hating i just want to see facts. I keep the rpms below 2 and keep it between 65 and 70 on the highway. I check my mpg by hand last time I filled up and averaged 13.6 mpg.

How is everyone checking their mpg? by hand? or the computer in the dash?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll recheck the hwy mileage as i head to montgomery alabama tomorrow...new stats on sunday...