Must have tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlaskanTexan

Reaction score
Hey y’all it’s my first time posting! I have a huge bucket list of all the fun I can have making my Expy handsome, BUT! I don’t want to send him to the shop constantly with stuff I know I can do myself with some old school elbow grease and YouTube, but when it comes to tools, I don’t have much outside of the standard (hammer, flathead, philips, wrenches etc). Any recommendations on must have tools for doing interior/exterior work??? I have a 2019 XLT Max.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Other than hundreds of hand tools, quality tire pressure gauge, a good vacuum cleaner, floor jack, jack stands, battery powered impact wrench etc.; I have found that a good dual-action buffer like a Porter Cable with a flat, velcro mounting arbor and a variety of foam pads can be a big help when you want to polish and wax a vehicle. If you're not electronics savvy, I would not recommend a code scanner since the parts stores will pull up any codes for free in order to sell you something to fix the reason for a check engine light

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good variety of socket extensions will come in handy. Sometimes you need to hook a few together to get leverage on bolts in hard to reach places. A set of plastic trim tools is essential for interior work. That cheap plastic will scratch/break in the blink of an eye if you try to substitute a screwdriver.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to change spark plugs periodically, make sure you get a long socket extension that locks where it connects to your sparkplug socket. Otherwise a normal extension will separate from your sparkplug socket when you try to remove the socket from a newly installed sparkplug due to the rubber boot inside the sparkplug socket. I use the one at the link below.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A torch. I just spent half my day futzing with the 27mm bolt on the bottom rear strut. One side came out easy, the other side was seized. I tried everything and finally just set that ***** on fire. Then it came out easily with a few goods wacks. Kicking myself for not getting the torch immediately.