My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely an open diff.

You could do a lunchbox I guess. I'll probably do Tru-Tracs at both ends eventually (years away likely).

I have other gremlins to chase first and the truck is turning into more of a restoration project than I expected. I see the bottom of you truck and cry out loud about the rust I have to deal with.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hella 500 Black Magics mounted:
410C9F9F-27DA-4BC4-9335-EBBDC7BDD84C.jpg

It's not the most secure location. I can see the lights bouncing a little. But even at 55watts, they are significantly brighter than the headlights.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the image, can't really make out if it is open or not.

Does there appear to be any sign of stacks of disks or springs inside the housing?

What is the stock diff for a UN93 supposed to be? Clutch pack?

if un93 means this
All pictures of Ford Expedition (UN93) '1998

stock is prob 8.8 open with a 4.6 engine, ratio prob depends what year, your 01 eb 5.4 (particularly if tow pkdge equipped) is likely a 9.75 - 3.73 ls

ain't no 9.75 lunchbox,

forget if u can get axle info from a particular expy via door jamb, vin and or dealer options but unless removed, the diffs have identifying tags on one cover bolt

pretty sure 8.8 options were 3.31 - 55 some were ls, 3.73 can be done but wasn't offered on expy (on the back 8.8)

9.75 were 31 open, 73ls (prob wore out if original), lotsa info here

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Ford Rear Axle Assembly Identification - Page 14 - FORDification.com

something like that...

edit - turns out above info is mostly early 12mm wheel lug options, which i looked into somewhat, whereas,

later 14mm lug axles included 9.75 3.55

Attachments

• axle codes.jpg
    axle codes.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 14mm lugs.jpg
    14mm lugs.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tag on the rear diff cover says xL55 9 75 (the X has been permanently obscured by the cover bolt but I can make out what appears to be the lower part of a 3). Which also points to being a 3.55 limited slip.

I've been told to jack it up and turn the wheels by hand. If it's open, one wheel will turn one way and the other turns the other way. If it's a LS, then both should turn the same way. BUT I'm skeptical that the speed at which I can rotate is enough to engage the LS.

Maybe I'll just go do a burn out and see if it's a peg-leg one wheel peeler or lays down an 11.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went to an automatic car wash today. I noticed a leak from the rear glass dripping down the defroster cable and it was dripping off the front passenger grab handle as well.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yesterday we had to drive up north about 90 minutes and then back in the dark. When we got home my wife took it out to the store. I had parked it in the middle of the driveway. My wife parked it more on the side when she got home. This morning I was taking the dogs for a walk and notice oil dropping off the driver side running board.

Weird.

When I got back, the oil was all over the driver side wheel well, leading edge of the control arms, all along the underside of the running board, the driver side rear wheel well and the back was covered in spray.

Checked the oil and level was good. No sign of leak........ anywhere.

So I think my wife drove through an oil slick when she went out. It's possible I did but there weren't any drips in the middle of the driveway- might have been that it wasn't parked long enough to drip.

Long ago I had a transmission issue where transmission fluid boiled out of the dipstick tube and onto the front axle (different vehicle), covered the wheel well in fluid and covered the side of the car in fluid. However, the rear wheel didn't get any. I'm thinking this was an oil slick on the road because of how much oil was in the rear wheel well of my Expedition.

Cleaned it up with sme brake cleaner and I'll keep an eye on it to be sure.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tag on the rear diff cover says xL55 9 75 (the X has been permanently obscured by the cover bolt but I can make out what appears to be the lower part of a 3). Which also points to being a 3.55 limited slip.

I've been told to jack it up and turn the wheels by hand. If it's open, one wheel will turn one way and the other turns the other way. If it's a LS, then both should turn the same way. BUT I'm skeptical that the speed at which I can rotate is enough to engage the LS.
if it has ls, prob shot

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yesterday we had to drive up north about 90 minutes and then back in the dark. When we got home my wife took it out to the store. I had parked it in the middle of the driveway. My wife parked it more on the side when she got home. This morning I was taking the dogs for a walk and notice oil dropping off the driver side running board.

Weird.

When I got back, the oil was all over the driver side wheel well, leading edge of the control arms, all along the underside of the running board, the driver side rear wheel well and the back was covered in spray.

Checked the oil and level was good. No sign of leak........ anywhere.

So I think my wife drove through an oil slick when she went out. It's possible I did but there weren't any drips in the middle of the driveway- might have been that it wasn't parked long enough to drip.

Long ago I had a transmission issue where transmission fluid boiled out of the dipstick tube and onto the front axle (different vehicle), covered the wheel well in fluid and covered the side of the car in fluid. However, the rear wheel didn't get any. I'm thinking this was an oil slick on the road because of how much oil was in the rear wheel well of my Expedition.

Cleaned it up with sme brake cleaner and I'll keep an eye on it to be sure.

Look at your front axle. I had a similar issue and found out I cracked the axle sleeve. There was front diff fluid leaking and being sprayed everywhere (doin 85 on the freeway will do that I suppose).

Still trying to figure out what the hell I hit to have done that, or if I was going a tad too fast when going over the train tracks near my house...