My 2010 sounds like an actual diesel at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I mean. Back a few years I could get a great discount just mentioning a shop I worked at, or even saying i had my own shop. These days when they should be competing for everyone's business by giving us a break, instead they give nothing! Even shops I know, their price had no break. Sometimes they were above off the street retail. All the independent stores are gone or going, and just the huge mega companies are left. Sad that we all order online, wait 2-8 days, all because rents/ mortgages/ manufacturing has gotten so out of control. Miss the old days, took them for granted back then! Oh well, at least our vehicles are cooler to drive now, just wish I could or wanted to work on it now!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
I know what you mean.

I still go to the local mom and pop parts shop. Their prices are better than everyone else in town, and they do give me a discount for being on a local dad's Facebook group. So we get the same price as the dealer discounts.

Nobody else in town touches their prices, and they can get anything you want quick because the warehouse is only a couple hours away. Usually they have what u need in stock already.

But, they still can't compete with online prices.

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Update on the engine,

Got the timing chain cover off to find that both chain guides are missing

Found pieces in parts of the oil pump

I didn't have all the peices there so I had to pull the oil pan off. Found the rest of it stuck in the oil pan, other parts stuck in the pickup tube which caused weak oil pressure.

Once complete I will have all new chains, guides, tensioners, oil pump, seals, phaser lockout, and cleaned pickup tube.

Should never have to go back into here again after that IMG_20180506_123224.jpg IMG_20180506_145634.jpg IMG_20180506_145649.jpg IMG_20180506_123210.jpg

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Update on the engine,

Got the timing chain cover off to find that both chain guides are missing

Found pieces in parts of the oil pump

I didn't have all the peices there so I had to pull the oil pan off. Found the rest of it stuck in the oil pan, other parts stuck in the pickup tube which caused weak oil pressure.

Once complete I will have all new chains, guides, tensioners, oil pump, seals, phaser lockout, and cleaned pickup tube.

Should never have to go back into here again after that View attachment 24963 View attachment 24964 View attachment 24965 View attachment 24966
I hope you got a new oil pump too. The oil pump is right there so I highly recommend you do that also

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
I hope you got a new oil pump too. The oil pump is right there so I highly recommend you do that also

Absolutely. I'm putting all new everything in there.

Gonna skip the water pump since I can do it anytime pretty easily without touching all this timing stuff.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Absolutely. I'm putting all new everything in there.

Gonna skip the water pump since I can do it anytime pretty easily without touching all this timing stuff.
Awesome! What did all the parts cost? I'm looking to do mine this summer as its starting to make a little noise on cold start up but quiet otherwise.

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Awesome! What did all the parts cost? I'm looking to do mine this summer as its starting to make a little noise on cold start up but quiet otherwise.

I would have to check, but I think it's somewhere around $500.

I didn't buy genuine Ford parts.

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Great news!

All the parts arrived today.

Bad news is I won't have enough time to put it all back together today.

My plan this evening is to get the new parts installed. Bar the engine over to be sure I didn't screw up the timing

Then tomorrow after work see how quickly I can put it all back together again.

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Update:

Got all the new parts on today.

Also finally got the oil pan off and got to see the surprises in there

That looks like it's the rest of the missing timing guides.

Also found some pieces of junk in the driver side VCT solenoid

Glad I decided to pull the oil pan. The filter screen was plugged solid. Which explains the low pressure and chattering phasers

Its been a long road but hopefully it's almost done IMG_20180508_202332.jpg IMG_20180508_185003.jpg

IMG_20180508_184951.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger