my expedition stranded me today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You get 463 miles out of a tank? Even if I deplete 29 of the 30 gallons at 13 mpg I'd only get 377 miles.

Yeah 4r70w 4.6 and 3.31 gears and that was all highway. Those numbers and my 30 gallon tank still put me in the 15mph area. I reset the trip with each fill up to track mileage to catch any performance issues eaely

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you've got a different engine, different transmission and different gears than me. Probably a highway oriented tire and not a mild all-terrain like me as well. But that's impressive.

According to my ScanGauge, I'll occassionally get some trips that are 15+ mpg. But then the tank averages out to around 13-14. I'm not complaining because I like driving it.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you've got a different engine, different transmission and different gears than me. Probably a highway oriented tire and not a mild all-terrain like me as well. But that's impressive.

According to my ScanGauge, I'll occassionally get some trips that are 15+ mpg. But then the tank averages out to around 13-14. I'm not complaining because I like driving it.

I run the general grabber stx at 33psi, fuel is currently at just a hair below 1/2 at 320 miles. straight highway today for a run to and from Atlanta. I will fill it up tomorrow and see just how the mileage was but I know i got 21mpg on a run to Jacksonville fla.

don't have any trust in my fuel gage right now but I know that 450 is beyond my safe limit for now.

allanbegg

Reaction score
I had a car that did the same type of thing to the fuel tank. It was a brand new car, but would cavitate the fuel tank and leave me stranded, because I thought I still had 1/4 tank of fuel. This happened a couple of times in which the dealer would install a new tank (under warranty) and send me on my way. A month later I was back in the dealership for another one. Finally, one of their technicians got smart. He pulled all of the fuel and return lines off at both ends and blew compressed air through them. When he did this with one of the return lines, "something" shot across the shop bay and hit the wall on the other side. They never did figure out exactly what it was, but knew that the return had been clogged and therefore the fuel pump was simply sucking up fuel without a means to relieve the vacuum and eventually it would cavitate the tank.

Long story, but check your return line for a clog.

Allan