My expy pulls back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exp099

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ineed help ihave 99 5.4 Xlt and everytime im on the freeway going past 50mph or more for some reason when i let go of the gas it feels like it pulls back hard and starts to slow down pretty quick its like if im pressing on the brakes.. inoticed it got worse after i installed the body lift.. does it need new transmission, something with the brakes?? Or is this normal? has any body expierence this?

pooleo8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmmmmm, the "work" truck I sometimes drive does this same thing, noticed it today. Its a 2000 F-150, 4.6 auto 2wd. Almost feels like the engine shuts off.....or something

OP
OP
Exp099

Exp099

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmmmmm, the "work" truck I sometimes drive does this same thing, noticed it today. Its a 2000 F-150, 4.6 auto 2wd. Almost feels like the engine shuts off.....or something

Oh really wow well mine doesnt get to that point where its almost going to shut off

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This sounds similar to the "diesel engine brake" phenom. What rpm's @ 50 w/ the new meats? Did you change set points in your computer to compensate for the change in tire size etc?, thus perhaps increased drag from the lift, largers meats etc.?
Could one of your brakes be dragging, or the ebrake not fully releasing as mentioned above, or trans selector not properly indicating which gear its in. Could also be a wheel bearing issue, but think you'd start hearing that. Any change to the trans/torque converter for serious towing?

OP
OP
Exp099

Exp099

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This sounds similar to the "diesel engine brake" phenom. What rpm's @ 50 w/ the new meats? Did you change set points in your computer to compensate for the change in tire size etc?, thus perhaps increased drag from the lift, largers meats etc.?
Could one of your brakes be dragging, or the ebrake not fully releasing as mentioned above, or trans selector not properly indicating which gear its in. Could also be a wheel bearing issue, but think you'd start hearing that. Any change to the trans/torque converter for serious towing?

The rpm at 50mph usually alil over at 2000 rpm.. No ihavent changed any shift points from the computer.. Iwill Check all of My brakes tomoro.just to make sure is not that and see if ican fix My overdrive. No changes to torque converter or computer

Mikeyss

Reaction score
Have you recently replaced your battery, or have you had it disconnected? I know when the battery is disconnected and reconnected, a similar thing happens. You are up to highway speeds, and you let your foot off the gas pedal and it seems you downshifted a gear. If this is what you are referring to, try this: when you are up to highway speeds and no one is around you, let off the throttle and coast until it feels it upshifts on its own. If it upshifts while you coast (takes several seconds), then the problem goes away. This may or may not be the problem you are having.