my transmission went, so while I have it out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Expedition eddie bauer. I forget how many miles over 100k it is.

So here's the story, I am driving down the road and I hit my pedal to accelerate. The truck downshifts like it normally would for passing, but it never hook up ever again, it just revs.

No weird noise, no weird smell, trans fluid is fresh and filled properly. No movement shifting into 1st 2nd Drive etc. I didn't bother trying reverse. I had driven it all day the day before, and the day it went I had driven it several times around town and it never missed a beat, not once.

I wonder what it could be that did it? It is currently in the trans shop and the person working on it said it's for sure inside the trans. (so not a linkage, or a solenoid etc.) My hope is that the torque converter went out and I only need to replace it and have the valves cleaned in the trans.

So here's my question, what do you think went bad in the trans and why?

This is just for my own piece of mind, and maybe get some useful stuff to discuss with my trans-man. the reason is because when I bought this truck I also bought an extended coverage warranty which as luck would have it appears that it will cover the transmission and all internally lubed parts, as well as the torque converter...parts and labor!! how super glad am I that I bought it???

which leads me to another question: they (the warr. company ASC) wanted to be called when the pan was dropped. (why? what are they looking for? metal?)

he also said that they reserve the right to come inspect the trans once it's out of the vehicle, again why? and what would they be looking for?

besides saying "signs of abuse" I need to know those signs... metal shavings? dark/burnt fluid?

I also want to know, since the trans is out anyway, if I should have a better shift kit or torque converter put in and pay the difference myself? or anything else that could be made better via aftermarket parts?

but keep your fingers crossed for me that the warranty covers like it's supposed to and covers whatever the problem is. I am waiting for a call sometime on Monday.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope your truck isnt lifted with bigger tires.....Alot of these warranty companies look for any reason not to cover the build. Keep that in mind if you need to remove anything before they come.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never heard of ASC, but im going to guess that they want to know what happened to the tranny and possibly look for reasons to deny your claim.

thebeast1190

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I needed a new transmission last year and my extended warranty covered the entire $3000.
If they wont cover it because of any mods read the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well I made sure to return the truck to it's stock tune before I had it towed.

however there is a throttle body spacer... but not really big deal
the magnaflow cat-back
and the K&N plastic cold air intake

I can't imagine that would be reason enough to negate a covered trans.
the fluid was changed recently, it wasn't burnt up, and it was at the proper level.
so there should be NO signs of abuse for them to deny me (fingers crossed)
I noticed that unlike some warranty companies they never asked for copies of fluid changes. I am going to put a call in tomorrow to try and get an update....

hope for me that I get some good news. It SHOULD be covered.

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have good news!

ASC sent a rep. out to the transmission shop, and approved the rebuild.

The Manager of the shop, Jay was a really good sport about the whole thing, so I'm taking them lunch tomorrow, not a dime out of pocket but some pizza and soda for what could have easily been a $2,000 + bill. he didn't even charge for the tow (25 miles one way)

this guy is so awesome he installed a shift kit (he described it as a $40 kit) that he quote "had laying around the shop" INCREDIBLE.

Last edited:

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I have good news!

ASC sent a rep. out to the transmission shop, and approved the rebuild.

The Manager of the shop, Jay was a really good sport about the whole thing, so I'm taking them lunch tomorrow, not a dime out of pocket but some pizza and soda for what could have easily been a $2,000 + bill. he didn't even charge for the tow (25 miles one way)

this guy is so awesome he installed a shift kit (he described it as a $40 kit) that he quote "had laying around the shop" INCREDIBLE.
Dont know if its too late...I had a trans done and paid a few extra $$ for a Kevlar clutch pack...they are almost indestructible and give an awesome shift as well...my 2 cents..

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love getting everyone's two cents. But sadly yes I picked it up already but a little lter than normal....

when the tech finished installing the trans. he of course tested it, the front driver wheel would bind while freewheeling on the lift, so they pulled off the front Differential cover and inspected the innards all of which checked out.

that led the tech to the conclusion that the drivers side axle was shot, called the warranty comp., covered!!

for anyone who may need to go through something similar this is a 99 exp. E.B. with the 4R100 Transmission,

the bill reads as follows: (I'll post up the bill later after I scan it and blackout some info)

Overhaul kit $245.00
Torque Converter $295.00
Forward Drum $110.00
Center Support $41.00
Shift Kit $39.00
Fluid $43.00
Filter $19.00

Axle (D/S front) $110.00

Parts total $902.00
labor total $963.38
tax $54.12
Total $1,919.50

now that's not the best part... we also have an 01 Escape that shudders sometimes when it shifts into O.D....it also has the same warranty my expedition has since we bought them at the same place, I asked Jay if he wanted it, he said yes, the warranty covers it also, we left that little truck and drove off in the big truck... 5 minutes later an ASC Warranty rep. is on my phone, he asked me the following questions
"so what's it doing exactly?"
"and how long has it been doing this?"
and that was it....I couldn't freaking believe it he didn't want or apparently need any other info from me he just said "o.k. I've already given auth. for the repair have a great weekend" sweeeeeet.

So while talking to Jay (the "trans guy") he said it's a common problem and he would also install a common shift upgrade in that trans as well. also no charge.

now that's the way business should be done, cut, dry, simple, easy. Thumbs up to Multistate Transmission businesses everywhere, and thumbs up to ASC the Warranty Comp.