Mysterious transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2007 has a sometimes very slow 1-2 shift, like it's slipping then a pretty harsh shift. I had the transmission fluid and filter changed at the local dealer and they insist it worked fine when they test drove it. I've had such issues with Ford transmissions before and swapping one quart of fluid with a bottle of Lucas transmission fix usually improves or eliminates it. I gave the dealer shop a new bottle of it to put in but I have no way of knowing if they actually used it. No change in the shifting after they did the fluid and filter.

EdNope13

Reaction score
I purchased a 2017 EL with 65,000 miles about a year ago. It’s been driven halfway across the country with no issues until a couple months ago, when the transmission started disengaging intermittently, as others have experienced. I took it to a local transmission shop yesterday for troubleshooting and a tranny fluid flush and fill. When I picked it up today (83,155 miles on it), the shop owner said there was basically very little (almost no) transmission fluid in the thing! He couldn’t explain why and there was no evidence of any fluid leaking underneath. He also found to errors when he did a diagnostic test.
The driveway has no leaked fluid on it either, so not sure what could have happened to it - there’s also no smell of burning fluids coming from the vehicle. It’s still too early to tell, but the transmission seems to be running fine now.

I checked for recall issues on my VIN and there’s none.

OP
OP
M

MattyG307

Reaction score
Thank you for this information. I took my Expedition to a mechanic friend and he said my transmission seemed to be overfilled. Upon further investigation, I found that the transmission needs to be checked at a certain temperature. The most likely cause of the disengagement is a lead frame issue. Not sure what I can do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65