mystery rubber cap/plug found in cargo area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John I

Reaction score
As the title indicates, I discovered this in the cargo area of my 2019 Max today while detailing the interior. I vacuumed it out yesterday evening and finished up the job this morning. Since I vacuumed the cargo area last, I suppose it's possible that it was picked up somewhere else in the car and later fell out of the hose. It is pliable rubber, approx 1 3/8" across the cap and 5/8" deep. No markings other than an "A" inside the cap. Appreciate any help identifying it.

rubber cap-plug 1.jpg rubber cap-plug 2.jpg

Last edited:

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the plug that sits over the spare tire winch port. definitely needs to be in place to prevent water entering the cargo management area.

OP
OP
J

John I

Reaction score
Looks like the plug that sits over the spare tire winch port. definitely needs to be in place to prevent water entering the cargo management area.
Thanks for the response, but that's not it. At least now I know where the spare tire winch access is located. :)

spare tire access.jpg

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks to me to be a temporary cap for some tubing device that was shipped in pieces. I have six that came from the box of parts for one of those Chinese rolling hose reels with the pneumatic tires. I use one of them to set the pointy end of a long pry bar into to protect my epoxy floor coating.