Need OEM Sub and Amp specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wingrg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi my ride 2003 Expi 4x4 EB want to make a subwoofer upgrade only using the factory enclosure, my sub sounds great but want more boom, well i need specs or what i need to know is the mounting depth and what to look in a subwoofer specs, i like to read so a good link to read or history going to be apreciate. Also i have a aftermarket double din radio not the OEM 6cd in dash radio.
Thanks!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ppl have done this already...any standard 8" sub will work...kicker...pyle...lanzar...whoever as long as u don't use a SPL sub with a ridiculous magnet/motor...so anything u can get from best buy and ur good

OP
OP
W

wingrg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ppl have done this already...any standard 8" sub will work...kicker...pyle...lanzar...whoever as long as u don't use a SPL sub with a ridiculous magnet/motor...so anything u can get from best buy and ur good

Thanks for the advice!!

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did this. Used the Polk MM 8". The installer did a 3/4" MDF spacer/adapter. Along with a JBL 500W amp it does better than the stock Navi THX stuff but don't expect miracles out of a small sealed box with an 8" sub in a larger truck. I will be pulling the panel off and sound deadening some rattles and adding fiberfil in the bax and see if them helps.

I do plan on wiring a quick electrical plug so I can add at least a 12" sub most of the time and can switch to the 8" when I need the room.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone done a vented enclosure with a 8" sub in the available space? I have the '05 without power liftgate, so I have a little extra room where the lift gate module would be. I was thinking of getting a custom built vented box, utilizing that extra space. Not going for max SPL, but a little more kick and lower frequency response than the OEM sub.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure it would work. The JL Audio stealthbox is built for the 3rd gen ELs but it fits in the 2nd and 3rd gen standard length as well. It's noticeably bigger than the factory sub box so there should be plenty of room. A properly ported sub should give you more output over the sealed box. Just make sure the port isn't obstructed. And I would recommend sound deadening the area.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712