Need professional advice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legendary70

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am skeptical and nervous actually on whether to do it or not. I say that because some tell me DONT do it and others tell me DO it.

I have a2013 expedition el with 218.000 miles on it. I bought it with 190.000 and this baby is working great. I have changed the oil several times since i bought it. Changed also the antifreeze. New brakes etc.

I want to know if to do the tranny filter and fluid or not. It is shifting smoothly without issues. Some tell me dont do it because if might get ruined. Others say do it nothing will happen.

what should i do? thx

RobE

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Limited with 200k+ miles. I drained mine and changed the filter. Nothing was wrong with it and it shifts just as well now as it did before. Preventative maintenance frequently doesn't make a noticeable different in operation or performance. I didn't even need to jack up my expo to change the filter or oil.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're probably referring to the don't flush it recommendation. That's generally true on older, neglected vehicles as more often than not it creates larger issues. If you don't have a service history for it I would error on the side of caution.

I have 234k on mine and will do it before we start making trips down to the lake again this summer. I'm coming up on 60k since it's last service. I'm trying to knock out the last round of service on most of my major things. Plugs will get done as well. By the time I'm ready for all fluids, diff, etc I'll be approaching 300k mi if it makes it as far.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
In the old days, the varnish from the burnt old fluid would help seal up the crappy leather seals. When you changed the fluid, the detergents in the new stuff would break down the mung holding the seals together.

Today's transmissions have much better seals and the fluid doesn't break down as easily. Fluid sometimes looks fresh after 150,000 miles.

I wouldn't fear changing it if I were you, but I'd make darn sure the level is correct when I do. Most "professionals" screw that up and it's quite harmful.

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change it! Use motorcraft lv and filter.
It’s an easy job. Just make sure that when you fill it up that the fluid level is correct. There’s no dipstick under the hood . It’s under a cap on the side of the transmission. And the truck has to be running in neutral when you check it. Wear gloves as the cat is right there and it gets hot!