Never Owned a Ford Before

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tjcin

Reaction score
thanks for all the input. HP and torque are a concern for me. My Ram has 390hp and 450ft/lbs and currently pulls the travel trailer well. I have driven a new Surburban and my brothers 2007 Expedition. The power difference between the Ford, Chevy and my Ram is very noticeable. There are a few leftover 2012's on the Ford dealer's lots. Can anyone tell me how come the 2012 has 20 less hp than the 2013? I will agree that the price of a new Ford is alot less than the new Chevy. I am going to drive a new Expedition this weekend. I just thought joining this forum before making a purchase was a good idea, to maybe find out about some potential problems you guys are having. Keep ht einput coming, thanks, Tim C

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for all the input. HP and torque are a concern for me. My Ram has 390hp and 450ft/lbs and currently pulls the travel trailer well. I have driven a new Surburban and my brothers 2007 Expedition. The power difference between the Ford, Chevy and my Ram is very noticeable. There are a few leftover 2012's on the Ford dealer's lots. Can anyone tell me how come the 2012 has 20 less hp than the 2013? I will agree that the price of a new Ford is alot less than the new Chevy. I am going to drive a new Expedition this weekend. I just thought joining this forum before making a purchase was a good idea, to maybe find out about some potential problems you guys are having. Keep ht einput coming, thanks, Tim C

The 3rd gen (2007-2014) has two hp numbers 300 (2007) and 310 (2008+).

obageegee

Reaction score
I have owned Ford vehicles for the past 30 years or so, some good some bad. 73 Maverick, good. 72 Lincoln Continental, better. Merkur XR4Ti (not really a Ford but close) Excellent. 92 F-150, nickled and dimed me to death. 2000 Explorer V-6, ran it into the ground with 170,000 miles, I could not kill it. 2002 Expedition V-8, absolute piece of junk.

3 months into my Expedition, love it. Extremely smooth ride, very quiet, everything laid out well, lots of room. Surprisingly tight turning radius for a big vehicle. TONS of power, I haul a lot of stuff too, boat, camper, utility trailer etc. 5.4 Triton has some known issues but nothing major.

Good luck!

Rob

OP
OP
T

tjcin

Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to test drive one today.

OP
OP
T

tjcin

Reaction score
Well, if anyone asks if I have driven a Ford lately I can say yes. Went to a fairly small dealership today that had a 2012 leftover on their lot. Very smooth ride and extremely quiet inside. I must say I was impressed. Even though it has slightly less HP than a Suburban, I thought it just as snappy. The particular Expedition I drove is $11000 less than the sticker but has 3000 miles on it. They are selling it as new, but I would not get those 3000 miles on the 3/36 warranty. And it has already depreciated one year's worth of value. Any thoughts?

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
odd to hear that it is a 2012 leftover because the 13's have been out for a while. someone will probably chime in - I can tell you I was only able to get around $8k off of sticker on my 2013 when it was brand new (a little over a year now) and it was the only one they had regular length with towing package. That may be a reasonable deal - still odd that it is a 2012, I think. We absolutely love ours - it is our second Expy though. It is the perfect family vacation vehicle. I looked at Burbans, Tahoes, Armada, Sequoia. The Expy seemed to be the best value for what you get and the most comfortable. Keep in mind that the new motors may be coming soon - not sure if they are going to make it this year. I am a fan of the 5.4, but I just got an F150 with the 5.0 and it is a lot of fun. This may help you in a few ways as it should depress the prices on any 2013's around.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tjcin - go to KBB.com and NADA.com and check the used car values for how that truck is set up. Then, check out trucks for sale online to see what people are asking for them. That's the only way you are going to find out if you are getting a good deal.

I bought my '11 with 15K miles on it. Factory warranty until the 3yr 36K comes up. Bought the extended warranty at a major discount so I'm covered until 74K/78K (forget which right now).

OP
OP
T

tjcin

Reaction score
Thanks. I did go to KBB and check the value of a used 2012 with 3000miles on it. The value was around 5k less than the dealer wanted for this Expedition. One of the things that is in my head is that the "value" of getting a leftover, leftover needs to exceed the depreciation of a 2012 in the marketplace. No matter how deeply discounted it may be, I will still own a 2012. That will be a factor for my trade in or real world value when I decide to buy a new vehicle. I am going to a closer, larger dealership tomorrow to drive a 2013 and see what they can do. Tim C

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then I would say they need to drop another $5K at least. Did you ask them? I'm curious on how a "new" 2012 can have 3K miles on it.....did they use it as a "demo" that one of them drove periodically?